Rhody bushes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is there a wrong way to trim up a Rhody bush? Mine was starting to go crazy and so I just started to cut the branches about half way down until it was a nice uniform shape. Is this the right way to go about doing it, or should I be cutting the branches closer to the stalk?

Reaction score
Generally you can prune them at any time but the best would be in the spring after the shrub has bloomed. They look best if you can follow the growth pattern of the shrub rather than trying to create something symmetrical.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is what you're supposed to do, but I planted 3 Rhody's in front of my house when I bought it. By the third year, they were growing past the windows and were way to big. So I decided to cut them back, way back. Down to pretty much the size they were when I bought them. They didn't look pretty at the time, but by the end of Summer, they were very full and healthy looking. So now every Spring after they flower I trim them back again. They seem healthy, but like I said, not sure if you're supposed to do that. Just my experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for your thoughts. I got a little nervous after I cut the bush back because I live in a rented house. The bush looks good though.

Ask a Question