Reshaping a Little Gem Magnolia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Our Little Gem Magnolia has recently recovered from a fungus. To halt the disease the state extension service had me remove all limbs containing dead leafs. This resulted in the removal of about 85 % of the crown. Two crown branches remain. If those two branches were removed the tree would look like it got a crew cut. Meaning the tree would be flat across the top. Should the two remaining offset crown limbs be left alone? Is it possible to prune the tree so that it looks like a tree instead of a flat topped tree with two taller limbs. Btw, the tree must be moved because it is too close to the driveway.
012.JPG
018.JPG
024.JPG
065.JPG
036.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Given that you have to move it anyway, I would suggest just replacing the poor thing and cutting your losses. I do recommend moving it too- very close to the foundation and it would get large if it didn't have to be chopped back. It would take many years to encourage growth through proper pruning for it to look like a normal tree again. But if you decide to move it and keep it, I would transplant it and leave it be for a year or two to see where the growth goes, then re-evaluate how to prune.

In the mean time, have you thought about a replacement for it? I love rose of sharon- they're tough, have beautiful blooms, take to shaping and trimming well, and are fine planted near the house. This particular cultivar has very lovely blooms and would look beautiful with the warm colors in your facade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
I would cut the shoots off ! Big Lou

Those are not new shoots. Those two are from the original tree. After cutting out the leaders two vertical limbs I do agree the remaing look very odd. Thanks for your advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Given that you have to move it anyway, I would suggest just replacing the poor thing and cutting your losses. I do recommend moving it too- very close to the foundation and it would get large if it didn't have to be chopped back. It would take many years to encourage growth through proper pruning for it to look like a normal tree again. But if you decide to move it and keep it, I would transplant it and leave it be for a year or two to see where the growth goes, then re-evaluate how to prune.

In the mean time, have you thought about a replacement for it? I love rose of sharon- they're tough, have beautiful blooms, take to shaping and trimming well, and are fine planted near the house. This particular cultivar has very lovely blooms and would look beautiful with the warm colors in your facade.

Probable outcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I call it shaping the tree.
it will do what you want with a little help.

it dosnt matter if the top got busted out from a large limb falling off a large tree.
or you training the tree to do what you want

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Distressing update. Starting and extending down from where two limbs were cut from the leader is now dead. Below the imaginary foot line the leader is still alive as are the low leader branches. :(

Ask a Question