Red/White/Blue perennials

Reaction score
Howdy. I am looking to create a dense arrangement of perennials near my American flag. I need something that stays low to the ground and doesn't get too high. Something that I can plant in close stripes or bands to make a patriotic display. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi Shrubby, great idea, but think it might be a bit difficult to maintain a year round display of color.

However, you might like to try Asters, Verbenas or Petunia Resisto Series, all of which are low growing perennials, that have a longer than average flowering period and come in many colors, including the type of blues, reds and whites required for your patriotic display, they are also evergreen in some climates.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
What a great idea. I agree with gata montes and have good luck with petunias nearly year round. The flowers a big and I have seen some vivid colors that would work with your theme.

Reaction score
Very nice idea! I did this with annuals but ruled out trying it with perennials because the zone I live in made impossible. so, I used annuals in the summer and Xmas lights in the winter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Daisies are lovely, white perennials:)
It would be easy to make a Polish flag from flowers, because I'd need only two colors, white and red. I couldn't be further away from being a patriot though:LOL:

Reaction score
red white and blue rose bushes kept trimmed low?

just noticed this thread while i was looking for perrenial ideas, and having just looked at various color rose bushes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The problem with blue roses is that they aren't exactly blue, they're violet. If you used them for the arrangement, it wouldn't remind the American flag.
Planting a few different rose varieties next to each other is a lovely idea though:)

Ask a Question