Red or yellow.

Reaction score
which type onion do you prefer red or yellow? I really love the Bermuda onion they have a special taste. I still do enjoy the yellow. I use each one for different things. If I am going to eat a sandwich than I will eat it with a Bermuda onion but when I am sauteing something than I will use a yellow onion. Which do you prefer? And do you grow either?

Reaction score
I love Vidallia onions when they are in season here in the south. I also like Texas Sweets. I usually cook with either yellow or white onions. I like to use red onions in salads. And the little green spring onions,,, yum.

Reaction score
Although I grow both the red and yellow varieties - I have to admit that of the two I much prefer the milder sweeter flavor of red onions - which I use a lot in side dishes and salads and often grated and sprinkled over the top of pizzas and pasta dishes - as their vibrant red almost purple colored flesh adds a wonderful finishing touch to almost any dish.

I really only grow yellow onions as they generally store better and for longer than some of the red varieties and although I prefer the reds - think having yellow onions over winter is far better than having no onions at all :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I normally cook with yellow onions because they are much cheaper. I will use red onions if I am making pickled onions or want to make my dish extra colorful.

Reaction score
In my everyday cooking it's yellow onions that i use as they are cheaper and in greater abundance at the farmers market; however when it comes to making my homemade burgers red onions are a definite must as it just enhances the flavor of my burger.

Reaction score
I use the white one the most, but I have used both the yellow and red one in the past. Most of the yellow varieties I tried were so mild, the red ones were perfect for salads.

I'd use the yellow one for everything else, but we only have the red and white version.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use the white onion to cook with mostly. When I make a salad and want it to be pretty I will add some red onion to give the some color to th salad, like potato salad.

Reaction score
I've never met an onion I didn't like. I use all of them, even things that are related to onions like scallions, leeks and chives. Red onions to me taste the best raw, while I prefer yellow onions cooked.

Reaction score
which type onion do you prefer red or yellow? I really love the Bermuda onion they have a special taste. I still do enjoy the yellow. I use each one for different things. If I am going to eat a sandwich than I will eat it with a Bermuda onion but when I am sauteing something than I will use a yellow onion. Which do you prefer? And do you grow either?
I am a huge fan of red onions. I use them for cooking and on sandwiches as well. I just find they are stronger than the yellow onions. That's a plus for me especially when I'm using them in a recipe. The stronger the better. :) You have to watch out though if your eating them raw... they can be so strong their actually kind of hot! Not to mention the nasty breath issue!!
Hope this helps!
Danyel :)

Ask a Question