Reclaimed wood?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do any if you use reclaimed wood in your gardens for planters or decorations? I was thinking of getting some to make plant boxes with, but I am concerned about possible chemicals in the wood because I mostly want to grow veggies. It would sure be an inexpensive way to build them though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You might try stapling landscape plastic to the wood before filling with dirt. That would probably keep any chemicals from leaching into the bed. I know a lot of old "outdoor" wood had creosote coatings to keep them from rotting and that leaches out pretty badly - they've banned it for things like pilings in piers because of of the toxins.

Reclaimed wood would make a really pretty raised bed, though. Especially if it was mixed with stone. Post pictures if you decide to use it, we'd love to see it.

Reaction score
Good luck with that, I'm not sure I'd go down that road, but I think gamal gave you a really good tip. I don't think we really know that will work tho, but it's up to you whether you want or risk it or not... specially if growing veggies. Best of luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good idea about the planting plastic, I will give it a try. I am going to do some research to see where I can get some reclaimed wood in my area as I really want to give this project a try. I have visions of a shabby chic raised bed if I can find some distressed painted wood.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Using palets as a source for reclaimed wood could be a good source for you. There are lots of ideas online on how to use palets in the garden. Here is just one that you may like.

Reclaimed-pallet-vegetable-planter_wm.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I reclaimed this 1940 s door
im going to use it in a green house sort of project

I might actually make a good cold frame. If you wanted to cut in half, you could use the half with the glass for the cold frame, and since it already has hinges on it, it would be easy to attach it to a frame. You might even be able to cut out the panel in the bottom half and replace it with glass. Just an idea!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm going to use the door to go down into a filter pit behind a new pond I'm building
The top of the pit will be made like a green house
I want to be able to stand down in the pit and look out the window

Ask a Question