Raspberries in new raised bed

Reaction score
I built a couple of Raspberry beds this past summer. Well one was in the spring and I enjoyed many raspberries. I built a second one in and around June 1st. Got it all ready with dirt and everything including soil acidifier. After two months I transplated 5 raspberry plants to the bed. I clipped them off at about 8 inches. Set up a sprinkler to water them 3 times a day foe 10 minutes each. Within a week I had leaves coming off the canes. After two weeks I stopped the sprinkler because we were getting a lot of rain. The leaves on the canes grew about 3". Two weeks ago one of the 5 plants was dead and the leaves were shriveled up. Today I checked on the rest and now the 4 remaining are dead. The soil gas moisture in it.

What happened? Can anyone tell me. Is it too late to transplant more?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 365
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Reaction score
Overwatering, I'm afraid.
Transplant more, but water them no more than once a week, and only if it doesn't rain that week.

One thing that has worried me I got soil that was actually compost from the local municipality. Would or could that have been too rich?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One thing that has worried me I got soil that was actually compost from the local municipality. Would or could that have been too rich?
I would not worry about the compost. Bee's is correct about the watering. Also, what type of raspberries do you have, the common or everbearing? Each is grown a little differently. It has been years since I grew raspberries but IIRC the everbearing type must be cut down to the crown after the 2nd year of growth or when the main stalk turns brown or vice versa, I can't remember which. Anyway, why not google "how to grow raspberries in Minnesota"?

Reaction score
I would not worry about the compost. Bee's is correct about the watering. Also, what type of raspberries do you have, the common or everbearing? Each is grown a little differently. It has been years since I grew raspberries but IIRC the everbearing type must be cut down to the crown after the 2nd year of growth or when the main stalk turns brown or vice versa, I can't remember which. Anyway, why not google "how to grow raspberries in Minnesota"?

They are the ever earring.

Ask a Question