Question about new flower bed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b,
Country
United States
We just finished building a new house and we have absolutely no landscaping at all. The way the house is build we have a area where it juts into the house and then comes out far beside the garage. Sorry hard to explain. And the porch is on the other side. But we have been getting a lot of rain which we are not used to. I need to plant something in the area that will withstand the water run off from the roof and also the dry conditions that we normally have. I am doubting that the rain with last for years but at the moment I need to plant something that is tolerant of both. Preferably something tall or bushy. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• flower bed.jpg
    flower bed.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 268
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! Great to have you here (y)

How much sunshine does the area get? It looks very sheltered by the 3 surrounding walls, so I'd be interested to know which direction it faces. Also how big is the area?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a small tree here called Money Tree. They were already here when we bought this house and we just let them. It has slim stalks that are soft and tall that reach up to 10 feet. It wouldn't mind the excess water nor the dry bed during summer but, of course, it also needs water. I just don't know if you have that there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Light is definitely a factor, but so is temperature and other aspects of climate. You really should check your local extension service to inquire about native plants that do well in your area. These should be your garden anchors and then you can add other plants for interest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b,
Country
United States
It is shaded till about noon and then again about 5 or so. Area is probably 4-5 feet wide and then 6-8 feet long to the end of the porch. I will say that the area does get hit pretty hard with rain runoff when it rains. There are indentions in the dirt from the rain runoff. We have gotten 6 inches in the last two days and are used to that for the whole year. :) Since we are in El Nino(a) I am assuming this will last till thats over. So I need something that will take the dry and heat when its over. I do have some hostas that I am growing in pots cause I didn't have time to plant them in the ground before the roots started to rot so I planted them in planters I had. They sit outside on the porch and have withstood the downpours we've had over the last couple of months, but I was hoping for something with a little height. Would a hedge of some kind work? Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You almost can't go wrong with hostas, especially if it's a shaded area. They are incredibly hardy and some giant varieties grow 5' tall.

I've been thinking about hostas. We have some at work and I love the tall bloom spikes. The plants with the darker leaves aren't blooming and those are the ones that are most appealing to me. I keep looking at them though...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you are getting that much water coming off the roof, the first thing I would do is install gutters. It's not a good idea to have all that water splashing onto your brand new house, and could be an open invitation to carpenter ants, or termites. Takes some of the guess work out of what you can and can't plant as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you are getting that much water coming off the roof, the first thing I would do is install gutters. It's not a good idea to have all that water splashing onto your brand new house, and could be an open invitation to carpenter ants, or termites. Takes some of the guess work out of what you can and can't plant as well.

That water can also create problems with your foundation. Gutters can be diverted to rain barrels so you can use the water in the garden during periods when it doesn't rain. Both measures will save you lots of money and headache in the future.

Ask a Question