Protecting plants in the Fall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What is the best way to protect your plants in the Fall and or winter? I only have a few outdoor plants right now, which I am planning to bring in for the colder temps. I do have one that is planted outdoors though. I want to keep it outside. Is newspaper the best thing to cover plants? I don't have any burlap.

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
the best thing is to cover it, to build some how a small green house around it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is the best way to protect your plants in the Fall and or winter? I only have a few outdoor plants right now, which I am planning to bring in for the colder temps. I do have one that is planted outdoors though. I want to keep it outside. Is newspaper the best thing to cover plants? I don't have any burlap.
N-sulate. One layer is supposed to be about 6F protection

Reaction score
Country
United States
We always do a little move inside if there is anything that we want to save, but for the most part we just let the seasons do their thing and we meet back up with them in the spring. I know that it is really a case by case thing, but that is how it goes. I love the fall and the winter though, so I am glad that we are finally here.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
I've studied this topic recently and what I know is that at times a plant will survive frost on the foliage, but the same frost would kill any flower buds which have emerged so in areas where late spring frosts may occur, you should choose varieties of plants that bloom later. Also cold air, being denser than warm air sinks, so low lying areas of your garden can be several degrees colder than other, higher spots. Consequently frost may occur in these areas when there is no frost evident anywhere else in the garden. Plant your more tender plant species on higher ground or on slopes where the cold air will flow past the plants as it moves to the low point

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That sounds very interesting. I will have to take appropriate measures because our first frost historically speaking is about two weeks away, although with this crazy weather, who knows? I certainly don't. There seems to be a lot of variation in the weather anymore. It is anyone's guess.

Ask a Question