Protect the Pollinators!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We all know that in order to get see/fruit from our plants they need to be pollinated. Some plants are "self" pollinated (more or less) and others require help. You might be surprised to learn that bees are not the only pollinators visiting your garden.

garden-pollinators.jpg

Did you notice the links in the credits section at the bottom of the graphic? Be sure to visit The Pollinator Partnership at pollinator.org.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Out of the five plants in this graphic, I have four and only miss the lavender one! I didn't know that bat serves as a pollinator too, and that is interesting as well as educational information to know. I am not fond of rats/mice and beetles though, but they have a job to do so be it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this lovely chart:) It's not only pretty, but also really informative. I smile every time a bee visits my parents' garden. We should plant more lavender and sunflowers there:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Out of the five plants in this graphic, I have four and only miss the lavender one! I didn't know that bat serves as a pollinator too, and that is interesting as well as educational information to know. I am not fond of rats/mice and beetles though, but they have a job to do so be it :)

I am not found of those either, let them do their job somewhere in the woods! There is a school nearby that has been invaded with bats again. I thought the bats had been relocated previously, but on the news this morning it was announced that they had been exterminated! This is horrible, especially considering that they eat mosquitoes, but I guess it's not easy to move a colony of bats.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing this lovely chart:) It's not only pretty, but also really informative. I smile every time a bee visits my parents' garden. We should plant more lavender and sunflowers there:)

Hi, Claudine! How is apartment life? I have been eyeing a bag of wildflower seeds at work and I am thinking of cultivating a small pollinator raised bed on the side of the house. There is a narrow alley on the side opposite the driveway side, and the only time anyone goes in that area is to check the hot water heater. This way the bees will always visit me :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hi, Claudine! How is apartment life? I have been eyeing a bag of wildflower seeds at work and I am thinking of cultivating a small pollinator raised bed on the side of the house. There is a narrow alley on the side opposite the driveway side, and the only time anyone goes in that area is to check the hot water heater. This way the bees will always visit me :)
The apartment life is pretty good:) I will bring my miniature roses here soon. Also, I have a lot of hyacinths and cut flowers.
Cultivating a polinator raised bed sounds like a wonderful idea!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The apartment life is pretty good:) I will bring my miniature roses here soon. Also, I have a lot of hyacinths and cut flowers.
Cultivating a polinator raised bed sounds like a wonderful idea!:)

It's tempting to have a long strip down one side of the driveway, but I will stick to a small plot or container for now. I have been collecting butterfly plants as well. The monarch caterpillars in my greenhouse finally pupated, and one is ready to emerge, but I am afraid for it because the temperature has become very cold out. Yesterday the wind was very high as well. I'm glad things are going well with your new apartment!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not found of those either, let them do their job somewhere in the woods! There is a school nearby that has been invaded with bats again. I thought the bats had been relocated previously, but on the news this morning it was announced that they had been exterminated! This is horrible, especially considering that they eat mosquitoes, but I guess it's not easy to move a colony of bats.

Exterminated? That is really horrible and by doing that the bats are not on the endangered list of extinction! I wonder how the earlier people survived living in the jungles with so many different animals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Exterminated? That is really horrible and by doing that the bats are not on the endangered list of extinction! I wonder how the earlier people survived living in the jungles with so many different animals.

Truly! When you think about how life was as recent as fifty years ago, things have really changed. People are so lazy and want the quickest fix possible without any thought of the consequences. Most people fear bats, but you would think some animal or environmental group would step in and take some kind of action.

Ask a Question