Privacy Fence

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a-6b
Country
United States
Hello everyone. New to everything gardening. Me and my fiancée rent a house in Bowling Green,KY and we're interested in planting some fence trees along one side of our backyard to create more privacy. Our landlord said he would compensate us 50% if we wanted to do any landscaping. We figure since we will be here for 3 years, then moving to her home state of New Hampshire, it is well worth it for the privacy.

Our neighbors are nosey and like to yell/fight sometimes and if we could atleast block them out visually that would be great. I've attached a picture showing the backyard. I'm referring to the left side where the hideous chain link fence is. . are looking for something that grows quickly. Thanks for any advice to a newbie.

Attachments

• 20160828_140747.jpg
    20160828_140747.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I can't think of any tree that within three years would provide a screen tall enough to be of use. Eight foot high trellises, with a vine like Trumpet vine or Confederate Jasmine would give you some privacy next summer.
Since you are going to be in the area for three years, have you considered moving? Leaving the nosy and noisy neighbors behind sounds more practical to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a-6b
Country
United States
We moved enough when we were younger and have no desire to move much more. We do like the house and the landlord/price is fantastic. The neighbors are nosey/loud but don't bother us personally. We would just rather not see them (and the lady next to them who also likes to stare at us, which we ignore).
We'll keep all suggestions open for consideration. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Bamboo grows very quickly. In the heat, you can actually hear it growing, but it is a much more pleasant sound than noisy neighbors. There are many varieties of bamboo and you might want to check with a garden center near you about what species of bamboo would be suitable for bowling green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a-6b
Country
United States
Bamboo grows very quickly. In the heat, you can actually hear it growing, but it is a much more pleasant sound than noisy neighbors. There are many varieties of bamboo and you might want to check with a garden center near you about what species of bamboo would be suitable for bowling green.

Thanks for the suggestion, Beverly. Never thought of that. Thank you. I'll look into it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
ChiSox, there are two types of bamboo--running or clumping. Running bamboo will take over your yard since it spreads by root and is extremely hard to dig out and impossible to contain. If you opt for bamboo, make sure it is clumping bamboo.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh, I see the problem. You need something higher than the chain link, since the deck is elevated. I agree that climbing vines on a trellis would probably do it. You could always build a little privacy screen around that side of the deck.

Maybe something like this is your answer for quick and easy? (More showing the walls, than the "roof.") It would block their view a bit, and still let a breeze through. Won't help much with the sound... :(

lattice.jpg

Or maybe some moveable screens?

5010e[1].jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines

We have here a kind of bamboo called Chinese bamboo with slender poles of like 2 to 3 inches in girth. It grows fast and being used as decoration in some resorts that we have been to (I vividly remember because we have asked for some planting materials but we were refused). The bamboo shoot would grow to 4 feet in a year's time provided it gets enough water every day. However, I know that bamboo only grows in a tropical climate.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The best strategy is to grow a fast growing herb or vine to seal the gaps spontaneously with one that grows in the medium term. The third row should consist of a perennial like eucalyptus which has small leaves and can be pruned back to form a watertight fence. This is the most efficient and effective method. Otherwise, you should look for old iron sheets and erect an artificial fence behind the natural one to give it time to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Corzhens, yes there are beautiful varieties of tropical bamboo, but there are also varieties of bamboo that grow in more northern climates. I have seen bamboo growing outside year around in Washington State, for example. Those people were very mean not to give you a bamboo shoot.

Ask a Question