Potted Pinepple

Reaction score
Stupid question... Can I grow a pineapple in a large pot in my home? Or, do I need to be a little less lazy and a little more creative?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Stupid question... Can I grow a pineapple in a large pot in my home? Or, do I need to be a little less lazy and a little more creative?
Sure you can. I haven't done it but I have seen pineapple plants with pineapples about the size of a baseball in pots. I don't know if they will get full size or not though

Reaction score
Sure you can. I haven't done it but I have seen pineapple plants with pineapples about the size of a baseball in pots. I don't know if they will get full size or not though
Bite size pineapple sounds like an idea that could make quite a bit of money, if you could make the skin edible or something...

Reaction score

Were they really large pots? Maybe it's like a fish - the bigger the living space, the bigger the fish.

Reaction score
Bite size pineapple sounds like an idea that could make quite a bit of money, if you could make the skin edible or something...

Wouldn't that be cool?!? It would a lot of pineapple "inbreeding," I would think.. in order to achieve that but wouldn't it be awesome?!

Reaction score
I have grown a pineapple plant from the top of one, but it is a trail and error thing with a lot of failures before a success. The plant got very large, so you have to make sure that as it grows, you put it in a spot where no one will brush against the stiff, spikey leaves. They can hurt! I did get a small pineapple on it, but it took some time, so you have to be patient. And over time it did get to a useable size, although not as large as those in stores. Finding a spot for it in the house during the winters where no one would get injured walking past it was a challange.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started a pineapple plant from the top of a pineapple about 2 yrs ago. It has not grown that large since I planted it. I put the plant out this spring before it had really warmed up and it got a little damaged from the cold nights. It is just beginning to come back to life. I doubt I will get a pineapple from this one plant because of the slow growth so far. I will look to start another one before the summer is over.

Reaction score
Its easy, start by buying a pineapple, take it home and cut the top off, stripping some of the lower leaves. Eat the rest of the pineapple. Turn the cut off end upside down and leave it that way for a week or so to dry. Stick some toothpicks into the base of the pineapple and then set it up on a glass of water. The base should be in water with the toothpicks resting on the edge of the glass. When the roots are several inches long plant it in a pot. Keep it warm and moist, water weekly, and fertilize. Watch plant grow into pineapple tree.

Eat the new pineapples that grow!

Reaction score
My dad tried growing a pineapple with the top of an adult one, but failed many times. I think you have to pick the right pineapple to do that! Best of luck with that, please let us know how it goes if you try.

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be cool?!? It would a lot of pineapple "inbreeding," I would think.. in order to achieve that but wouldn't it be awesome?!
You'd have to somehow create a skin which would be peelable come to think of it, or at least one which came away easily. Or you could just sell peeling knives with them I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You'd have to somehow create a skin which would be peelable come to think of it, or at least one which came away easily. Or you could just sell peeling knives with them I guess.
I can see another GMO at the grocery store--------------skinless and spineless pineapple only $2.99 each

Reaction score
I can see another GMO at the grocery store--------------skinless and spineless pineapple only $2.99 each
Now that's one GMO food I don't think anyone would complain about.

Then again without the skin all the delicious fruit is going to get icky and dirty.

Reaction score
I have a pineapple plant in a regular sized pot. I do want to move it into a larger one when it gets bigger. I have not had any fruit from it as of yet, It's still quite small compared to how big they should be, but as long as you plant it properly, give it the right soil, provide it with water and LOTS of sunlight, it should grow. That's all I've done with mine and its flourishing!

Ask a Question