Potted Morning Glories

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I've been thinking I'd like to plant some morning glories in a wooden half barrel I bought at a farm store a few years ago. The dimensions of the barrel are about 22" in diameter at the top inside diameter tapering to about 18" at the bottom, and 18" deep. Will this support morning glories? I want to plant them in front of my garage between the two overhead doors. There's a cement apron in front so there's no dirt where I want to put them. I have about 4' between the doors and I'll put a trellis up for them to climb on. This is the south side of the garage and has full sun from about 9:00 in the morning until sunset with no trees close enough to shade it. If it matters, the garage is painted white and the as I mentioned, the barrel will be sitting on concrete so will there be a problem with reflected heat off the white building and the cement apron? It's also the gable end so any rain water from the eaves won't be a problem. Will there be enough dirt in that barrel to support this idea? if so, how many seeds should I plant? I'm in upstate NY, the zone I believe is 5b according to the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I agree with Lori, very simple plant to grow, and will take full sun with nary a problem. When in need of water they will let you know by showing signs of wilt. Fill the barrel with any type of garden soil. No need for anything fancy, and don't forget to soak the seeds in warm water for 24 hours before planting. That's pretty much it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I agree with Lori, very simple plant to grow, and will take full sun with nary a problem. When in need of water they will let you know by showing signs of wilt. Fill the barrel with any type of garden soil. No need for anything fancy, and don't forget to soak the seeds in warm water for 24 hours before planting. That's pretty much it!
Thank you Licenter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Morning glories will grow almost anywhere around our yard, and it can be invasive. The flowers are beautiful though, and I believe you will have any trouble with that big barrel. It already sounds pretty :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I've been thinking I'd like to plant some morning glories in a wooden half barrel I bought at a farm store a few years ago. The dimensions of the barrel are about 22" in diameter at the top inside diameter tapering to about 18" at the bottom, and 18" deep. Will this support morning glories? I want to plant them in front of my garage between the two overhead doors. There's a cement apron in front so there's no dirt where I want to put them. I have about 4' between the doors and I'll put a trellis up for them to climb on. This is the south side of the garage and has full sun from about 9:00 in the morning until sunset with no trees close enough to shade it. If it matters, the garage is painted white and the as I mentioned, the barrel will be sitting on concrete so will there be a problem with reflected heat off the white building and the cement apron? It's also the gable end so any rain water from the eaves won't be a problem. Will there be enough dirt in that barrel to support this idea? if so, how many seeds should I plant? I'm in upstate NY, the zone I believe is 5b according to the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map.
Hey DP. I know it's been a number of years since this post. Are you still around and, if so, how did your Morning Glory idea turn out with your garage? I love that idea! If you're still in the same house and still here on the forum, perhaps you might share some photos!

Have a great week!

Ask a Question