Possible compost in our yard?

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new here and new to even thinking about gardening. We recently moved into a rental with a huge yard and a lot of different landscaping going on. I have a lot of questions about different areas but for now I'm going to focus on the "mystery spot". In the very back corner of our fenced in yard is a smaller fenced in corner with ridiculously high plant growth. It's completely full. The landlord said she thought maybe they had a compost pile in there. My question is, could we just start over with one in that area? Is it normal for really high growth to come out of one or is it more likely that they were just growing something there and fenced it off for protection? It's small. Probably about 8' x 4'. If I can get a picture today, I'll throw one on here. If it was a compost pile, should we clean it out and start over or just add to it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi guys. I'm new here and new to even thinking about gardening. We recently moved into a rental with a huge yard and a lot of different landscaping going on. I have a lot of questions about different areas but for now I'm going to focus on the "mystery spot". In the very back corner of our fenced in yard is a smaller fenced in corner with ridiculously high plant growth. It's completely full. The landlord said she thought maybe they had a compost pile in there. My question is, could we just start over with one in that area? Is it normal for really high growth to come out of one or is it more likely that they were just growing something there and fenced it off for protection? It's small. Probably about 8' x 4'. If I can get a picture today, I'll throw one on here. If it was a compost pile, should we clean it out and start over or just add to it?

Thanks!
Sounds like an old compost pile. Just pull up all of that growth and let it compost too. You're lucky. Most folks have to start a compost pile and here you have one already there. Maybe................pics would help...especially what the plants are growing in

Reaction score
Country
United States
If that's what it is then you can definitely compost there. I would pull everything growing, turn the compost that is there and consider building a cheap enclosure out of wooden pallets or chicken wire to contain the problem.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with the ablve postm, it does sound like a compost pile was started in that area. I would also pull up all of the growth or cut it down, turn it over and start adding my own organic items to the pile. If the pile is high you might want to add some worms to help reduce the size of the pile.

Reaction score
As the others, I agree that sure sounds like a compost pile. The only thing I would be concerned with is if you are planning to go organic.. you would have no idea if the things they threw in the compost pile was organic.

If any seeds were get into a compost pile, they would certainly grow some very healthy plants, they'd have all the food they need.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You CAN use that area for your compost heap, but I like to move mine around every couple of years.
Want to know why?
Well see that huge amount of growth you have there? Well that isn't chance. All the goodness that has come from the compost into the soil makes it a veritable plant paradise.

I generally spread all the compost on my garden and then grow very hungry nitrogen feeders, like sprouts, broccoli, or courgettes there.
It's the ideal place & woth the work.

What do you say Chuck?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You CAN use that area for your compost heap, but I like to move mine around every couple of years.
Want to know why?
Well see that huge amount of growth you have there? Well that isn't chance. All the goodness that has come from the compost into the soil makes it a veritable plant paradise.

I generally spread all the compost on my garden and then grow very hungry nitrogen feeders, like sprouts, broccoli, or courgettes there.
It's the ideal place & woth the work.

What do you say Chuck?
Absolutely right Bees. A few years of a compost pile being in the same place will produce fantastic plants and by incorporating the compost that is there now into a new garden bed it will in effect create 2 new garden spots. Use the old spot for something special (in my case it would be tomatoes) and in the new spot with the old compost everything else.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Absolutely right Bees. A few years of a compost pile being in the same place will produce fantastic plants and by incorporating the compost that is there now into a new garden bed it will in effect create 2 new garden spots. Use the old spot for something special (in my case it would be tomatoes) and in the new spot with the old compost everything else.
Eventually your compost heap will move all around a small garden, rejuvenating the soil and, as a bonus, resting the part where your heap happens to be at the time.

Ask a Question