Plants my cats won't eat

Reaction score
Well, the title says it all. I gave up having indoor plants some time ago because my cats will just destroy them, and living in the deep South all I needed to do was bring some plants into the garage a few times during the winter - almost everything does just fine outside. But now I am living much further North and I am going to have to start growing plants inside if I want to have them, such as citrus trees. I have a source of dwarf citrus trees I have used before, but I'm afraid the cats will just eat them. I have a sliding glass door but I'm worried about the cats eating them. Maybe since they have thorns the cats will leave them alone, or if I grow catnip the cats will leave the non-catnip plants alone? Suggestions?

Reaction score
Well, the title says it all. I gave up having indoor plants some time ago because my cats will just destroy them, and living in the deep South all I needed to do was bring some plants into the garage a few times during the winter - almost everything does just fine outside. But now I am living much further North and I am going to have to start growing plants inside if I want to have them, such as citrus trees. I have a source of dwarf citrus trees I have used before, but I'm afraid the cats will just eat them. I have a sliding glass door but I'm worried about the cats eating them. Maybe since they have thorns the cats will leave them alone, or if I grow catnip the cats will leave the non-catnip plants alone? Suggestions?

I don't have cats but my apartment complex has a big problem with strays that like to jump on my balcony and they are mesmerized by my little garden. I looked around for some tips and read that you can make a diluted vinegar solution and spray it on your plants. It is not supposed to hurt the plants but it should keep your pets at bay. I also read that you can plant lavender because typically cats don't like it. Here is the link to the tips and more I read from about this issue: http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Cats-from-Eating-Plants. Hope this helps!

Ask a Question