Plants can make nice gifts

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
Have you ever given a plant to a relative or friend as a gift, either at Christmas time or for a birthday or other special occasion? I think a plant is a very practical gift. When we have no idea what to give someone because we think they have everything, a plant is a good gift idea. It could either be a house plant or a garden plant. I have never done this, however. I think they are some people who would appreciate this type of gift, especially those who already have beautiful gardens and appear to love plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If someone asked me what I want, I say plants, and if I give someone flowers, it has to be the plants, not cut flowers. I always bought plants or hanging flower baskets for my mom on Mother's Day and on her birthday.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Oh yes, a potted plant is my favorite gift (other than a truckload of composted manure). I give plants fairly often, and always include a note on both the botanical and common name, care details, and how big it will get.
Caribbean Girl, a plant is not only a very practical gift, it will be a very appreciated gift! Whether the plant is a duplicate of one the recipient has, or a plant that is completely new to the recipient, it will be appreciated!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My family always give me plants as a gift when they have no idea what else to give me. I love my plants and never have enough plants. When I grow up I want to have my own greenhouse. None of my family or friends are into gardening and plants as I am so I can not give them plants for gifts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
My hubby often gets me a potted plant these days in lieu of a bunch of flowers for a special occasion! I feel bad seeing a cut bunch of flowers wilt and have to be thrown away. With a potted plant I get to enjoy it for so much longer, and that's a wonderful thing!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've always thought that perennials were nice gifts.
Year after year my aunts would buy my grandma potted annuals for Easter & Mother's Day, meanwhile her garden really needed help, but they would always buy her annuals and I could never figure it out. I always thought "Why spend money on something that will be gone in a few months?" Eventually my grandma spoke up and asked for money instead so she could choose her own plants. She ended up buying 4 perennials and a cheap group of annuals for the same price that would've been spent on one big potted annual.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
In the Christmas of 2014, my gift to our neighbors is a potted welcome plant. I gave away a total of 8 pots with that plant that reputedly will bring luck to the house when placed by the doorway. Naturally the neighbors were so glad to learn of that superstition (or rumor maybe). This Christmas of 2015, I went back to the usual gifts like personal things and the neighbors said that they prefer the plants of the Christmas past.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Have you ever given a plant to a relative or friend as a gift, either at Christmas time or for a birthday or other special occasion?
No. I prefer giving money, or gift cards.

That way they buy what they want. I would give a plant, but only if the receiver likes it and if the plant cannot be found at a plant nursery (which is very rare).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I stop giving plants because 3 or 4 months I get them back half dead because they don't know how to care for them or they don't have time, so now its a gift card.

Reaction score
I have never done such a thing, but I'd definitely give a little plant as a gift to my future mother/father in law (I don't like them that much and they seem to already have everything they might need so gifting is hard). I think gifting a plant is perfect for people who loves plants, and seem to have almost everything already. Specially perfect if you know what their favorite plants are :) I'd not mind getting a plant as a gift ;)

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I have never received a plant as a gift; I look forward to receiving one though. I think it has to do with culture; if people around you believe in the benefits of plants and surround themselves with them, then I guess giving it as a gift would be appropriate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I can only make such a gift to the person who really loves plants and is able to take care of them. For me they are living creatures. In the spring I have a lot of extra cuttings. Sometimes I leave them on the ground floor of the town house, where I live. Somebody always takes them. I hope my plants please them long. And if these people took them into the house to themselves, they will take care of them.

Reaction score
Because I love plants and flowers this is one thing I want to receive as a gift for me. I remembered before my friend gave me 2 small pots of roses which is color red and peach as a gift. What my mother and I did is we bought 2 big and wide pots and transfered it there having a bigger space so that they can grow and multiply easily. Up to now the roses are still alive after so many years. Every year when I go for a vacation to our home country that is the first thing I am always eager to see which are the roses that was given to me years ago. And thanks to my mother who is such a great gardener for taking care of it all through the years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that plants are wonderful gifts to give to friends and loved ones. It's something about them that are so dear and special. It's like saying I love you, you mean a lot to me, or I miss you without having to actually say it. I love to randomly gift my grandmother with plants all of the time and it melts her heart. Also, as a woman I think it would feel really sweet to be gifted a plant by a man. It's different than flowers but it still sends the same message; if not a sweeter message in my opinion.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Oh yes, I have. When my aunt got married (about 12 years ago) I gave her and her husband a mint plant.
While giving it to them I read a "wisdom story" to them and that is how I made it a special gift.
They really liked it and to this day they still have mint all over their home.

Ask a Question