Planting trees - is there really a point?

Reaction score
I know it creates a natural environment and everyone is always saying we should plant trees, but is there really a point? From my scientific knowledge of plants, when they decompose, they release the exact amount of carbon dioxide as they took to grow. Which concludes that the net amount of oxygen that a tree produces over the time span of seedling to soil again is 0. Now you're probably thinking why people are crazy about planting trees. I think the wrong idea is being illustrated when people say plant trees. A forest, such as a rain forest in South America, will reach a point where old trees are constantly dying and new trees are constantly sprouting. This huge forest will then store the carbon dioxide as long as it is thriving. But, we humans need cars, trucks, factories, electricity for our daily lives. The use of these things is what takes that stored carbon dioxide and releases it into the atmosphere. Shouldn't people be saying "stop using vehicles, factories and electricity" rather than "plant trees!"

What's your opinion on this?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No trees, no breathable oxygen so yes.

We could go back to what it was like before oxygen excreting bacteria & plants evolved, but its not very nice breathing ammonia.

Too many humans now, we could stop using cars, factories & electricity, but we'd very soon have riots & starvation on our hands.

We need a change back to an agrarian society before its too late, massive reduction in the human population too.

Reaction score
No trees, no breathable oxygen so yes.

We could go back to what it was like before oxygen excreting bacteria & plants evolved, but its not very nice breathing ammonia.

Too many humans now, we could stop using cars, factories & electricity, but we'd very soon have riots & starvation on our hands.

We need a change back to an agrarian society before its too late, massive reduction in the human population too.
Well if we stopped using cars, etc, then we would stop releasing vast amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere. At that point, we wouldn't really need to plant trees, because nature will take its course from there. There are probably methods to still live a life in the technological age, but I don't think it involves going back to the agrarian way of life. It would just involve the abolishment of money. If people do stuff because they like to, then money wouldn't be a problem and we can technologically advance. We have the resources to have a sustainable planet, but money gets in the way of everything.

Anyways, I'm getting a little off topic here. What does everyone else think about trees?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
If mankind didn't keep chopping down trees, perhaps it wouldn't be necessary to plant them. Mother nature would be able to keep the balance right if we didn't interfere.

As things stand we need trees for many things. Look around you to see how many things are made of wood. Trees are also the source of some of the food we eat. And they help to add beauty to the world.

The more we interfere with the balance that nature intended for the world, the less likely we are to have the sustainable planet you talk of.

Reaction score
For me planting trees is a personal enjoyment..I do it because It feels good and I like to watch them grow over time.

Reaction score
shade, appearance and tasty fruits are enough of a point for me. since mother nature, whoever developed the subdivision, or the previous owners didn't put trees where i want them (including trees with tasty fruit ...mmmm), i have to do it myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My opinion is that opinions don't matter, facts do; so instead of responding with my personal feelings on this subject, here are some facts:

Trees act as natural filters... Trees produce Oxygen... Trees improve biodiversity and provide habitat for wildlife... Removal of trees contributes to soil erosion...
More info: http://www.pattfoundation.org/why-plant-trees/

The economic, environment and social benefits of trees: http://treeutah.org/tree-tips/what-plant-trees

Trees help recycle water, create shade, provide shelter...
http://www.ecokids.ca/pub/eco_info/topics/climate/tree_planting/why_plant_trees.cfm

Article excerpt:
"The great French Marshall Lyautey once asked his gardener to plant a tree. The gardener objected that the tree was slow growing and would not reach maturity for 100 years. The Marshall replied, 'In that case, there is no time to lose; plant it this afternoon!'"
— John F. Kennedy

Planting trees is one of the most basic of environmental acts. It embraces the beauty of nature, helps clean the environment from the moment of planting forward, and sets one's mind on the well-being of future generations.
It also happens to be a smart economic decision. Studies show that trees increase property values and can significantly reduce heating and cooling costs if placed carefully.

Read more: Benefits of Planting Trees - Why Plant Trees - The Daily Green

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Even if trees were completely unnecessary - I'm sure they aren't, but if - I'd still plant them, a lot of them. Trees are magnificent and beautiful, I love them, they make me happy. Looking at them helps me relax. I wouldn't want to live in a world without trees.

Reaction score
If mankind didn't keep chopping down trees, perhaps it wouldn't be necessary to plant them. Mother nature would be able to keep the balance right if we didn't interfere.

As things stand we need trees for many things. Look around you to see how many things are made of wood. Trees are also the source of some of the food we eat. And they help to add beauty to the world.

The more we interfere with the balance that nature intended for the world, the less likely we are to have the sustainable planet you talk of.
True, those are all good points you've made. Even if we didn't cut down trees, we would still release a lot of CO2 into the atmosphere. Since the CO2 we release comes from oil (which ultimately came from organisms living long ago), the CO2 will keep on coming, regardless of wether we chop down trees or not. Good argument, nonetheless.

Reaction score
Hmm, this never occurred to me before. Scotties tissues claim that they plant three trees for every one that they use for their tissues. With the info you presented... well, it adds another angle to this. I do think the angle of environmentalists is sometimes wrong, too - so I completely agree with your point there about focusing on cutting down these bad habits instead.
If we're just talking about planting trees to make our personal environments nicer, however... I would be much happier in a city full of trees than a barren "wasteland"!

Reaction score
Trees are awesome even if they release carbon dioxie when they decompose, which would be like 500 years from now, depending on the tree. They are still awesome, they provide shade and fruit and you can climb them, they form a natural wind barrier and they are beautiful.

Reaction score
Having trees around also keeps people calm. I remember reading a study about how people were less likely to be aggressive if they had access to parkland and trees nearby.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I only grow fruit trees, so there is the point of the food production. Some are pretty too. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I think that we need to plant trees even if it takes a long time for them to grow, that way there will be trees for future generations to enjoy. Some of the fruit trees will start producing within a few years, so we should start reaping a benefit from those trees ourselves.
According to the Bible, the first thing it says that God did was to plant a garden, and we know that there were trees growing in there, so obviously, even God thought it was important to plant trees.

Ask a Question