Planting Gladiolus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have about 50 gladiolus bulbs that I am wanting to plant in a space about 10' x 10'. Do you think 50 bulbs is too many for that space size? My goal is to have the space covered up with the bright pretty flowers. Also any suggestions as to when I need to plant the bulbs?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have about 50 gladiolus bulbs that I am wanting to plant in a space about 10' x 10'. Do you think 50 bulbs is too many for that space size? My goal is to have the space covered up with the bright pretty flowers. Also any suggestions as to when I need to plant the bulbs?

Thanks!
When I plant bulbs like these, I usually dig a hole about 8-10" around and place 5 or 6 bulbs in each one, instead of digging individual holes, evenly spaced. That way they don't look like they've been planted in a row and all line up. With your space, you could put 5 in each hole, and you would have enough for 10 holes, so maybe 3 in the back, 4 in the middle and 3 in the front.

Also, with glads, you may have to support them. I've always had problems with them falling over right before they bloom, which makes kind of a mess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Planting all of them in one area sounds "pretty", lol, at least when they bloom they will be eye catching to see and have that wow affect. I plant mine all in a row in the back of other flowers as they grew taller than others. @galmal had a suggestion though, and they will need support as in strong wind, my glads grew sideway :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Planting all of them in one area sounds "pretty", lol, at least when they bloom they will be eye catching to see and have that wow affect. I plant mine all in a row in the back of other flowers as they grew taller than others. @galmal had a suggestion though, and they will need support as in strong wind, my glads grew sideway :)
I like to plant several groups of them a few weeks apart so the glorious color show lasts longer. Plant 3 - 5 blubs in each group and leave about two feet between groupings so you can plant more in a few weeks. Be sure to mark where you pant so you don't injure the bulbs you have already planted. If you have enough room you could have several different planting and extend the blooms for quite some time. Enjoy those glorious blooms!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I put glads in years ago, at the time I was told that they will not return unless you dig them up every year. I never dug them up and they have been returning for years. I planted mine facing south in full sun near a fence. In front of the area is mid sized perennials. They help keep the stalks upright. Otherwise it is true, you have to be ready to stake the plants to keep them up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in the hot central valley of CA. Because we do not experience deep freezes we do not need to dig the bulbs in the fall as a consequence they
multiply like crazy. Several years ago I found the then unique green glads took over and I had a bed of totally green. Strange.

Ask a Question