Places that can grow crops year around

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am from Iowa and our crops are planted in spring and harvested in by late autumn. We have 6-8 months to produce a yield or winter kills it. I am interested in learning about places in the United States that do not necessarily have a single growing season. I spent some time in Florida. I heard that the same orange trees can produce fruit twice a year. I also heard that this isn't natural and it shortens the life of the tree. I would like someone to confirm or refute that, please. I also read that the San Joaquin Valley in California produces over 150 crops, and that it is done year around. Are there other places in America that can produce year around?

Reaction score
Warm climates can produce something year round, but your principles of crop rotation are still going to apply, or you will wear out the land and it won't produce. If you don't have freezing temperatures, there are things you can still grow in the cooler months, like kale for instance, and if you are fairly nice all winter there would be other thing that could still grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am from Iowa and our crops are planted in spring and harvested in by late autumn. We have 6-8 months to produce a yield or winter kills it. I am interested in learning about places in the United States that do not necessarily have a single growing season. I spent some time in Florida. I heard that the same orange trees can produce fruit twice a year. I also heard that this isn't natural and it shortens the life of the tree. I would like someone to confirm or refute that, please. I also read that the San Joaquin Valley in California produces over 150 crops, and that it is done year around. Are there other places in America that can produce year around?
In deep south Texas you can grow anything from asparagus to zucchini year round. You just have to know what to plant and when to plant it

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I lived in Santa Clara County, California and could grow something year round. I now live in the Mid-Atlantic area of the states which has a limited growing season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It's absolutely normal for orange trees to crop twice a year; they do so all over the Mediterranean, mandarins too, and lemons fruit all year. (although have spring/autumn peaks.)

Reaction score
It's absolutely normal for orange trees to crop twice a year; they do so all over the Mediterranean, mandarins too, and lemons fruit all year. (although have spring/autumn peaks.)

I would disagree there - as it would NOT be at all normal for citrus fruits to crop twice a year in Mediterranean countries - as they all only crop once - which is generally around now right through to February - apart from lemons which if you have the right variety may crop off and on through out the year - but the best crop will always be the December - February one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck, I don't understand why the timing has to be right to plant a crop if your weather is always warm? In Iowa we have no choice but plant when the ground is fully thawed, and harvest before frost/snow. Is there a rainy or dry season that stops you from planting at a certain time? If you have plants that grow extremely fast can you get more than two "seasons" in a single year?

Reaction score

Ahh such a pity you're not living in the Caribbean...it's warm climate all year round...you might need to relocate.:LOL:

Ask a Question