pickling beets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We are looking for a method of pickling some beets without using a pressure cooker. I would love some suggestions and methods that you use to do this, as pickled beets are a favorite of ours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I make pickles, including pickled beets and eggs, a couple of times a year. Never used a pressure cooker in my life.
This is the recipe I used a couple of times last fall:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/pickled-eggs-and-beets-recipe.html

Here's another recipe for pickles, no cooking required. A Chaldean acquaintance told me how to make her version of pickles and this recipe is exactly what she does. A slightly spicier version:
http://www.mideastchef.com/middle-eastern-and-chaldean-recipes-blog/turshi-pickled-vegetables

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Clean and sterilise the jars by putting them DRY into the oven, then turn on to 240F ~ 120C.
Turn the oven on only when you put the jars in, so they heat with the oven.
Boil in a pan 2pints water, two pints white vinegar (~5%) to which 1 tblsp salt and 2tblsps of sugar have been added.
Trim the beetroot and boil in salted water for 1/2 hr.
Peel the cooked beets by rubbing the skins off with your fingers, and slice, unless baby beets.
Add beets to jar, top up to just below rims with liquid and tighten lid whilst still hot.
When it cools, the little bit of air in the jar shrinks, forming a vacuum seal.
Ready in 3 weeks. Will keep a year, but best in first six months.

One thing I will mention is that you will be surprised how many beets you need to fill a jar, I always am.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yes, the ladies are correct. The acid level is what determines what needs to be pressure canned or just water bathed.

I do cheat and use the pressure cooker to cook the beets first though as it only takes 10 minutes to do even the biggest ones to the correct doneness.(is that a word??)o_O

Ask a Question