Picking and using your herbs

ziskasun

A seed once sown never dies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am wondering if you can tell me a little about picking and using herbs you grow. I have some that seem to be okay if I just pick some leaves off and then the plant keeps on growing, but others don't seem to grow new leaves after I've picked from that area. Are there some that are one crop types and others that keep on propagating even when you pick them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When harvesting most culinary herbs (basil, oregano, sage, marjoram for example) it is best to cut the stem just above new leaves, and then strip the leaves from the cut stems. This results in a bushier plant since it sends out new growth from where the little new leaves are.
For bay trees, you pick a leaf by pulling it downward. Parsley and chives (either regular chives or garlic chives) the stem is cut close to the ground. Parsley will send up new shoots, and the chives are bulbs so they will send up new leaves.
I think you are confusing "propagating" with "continuing to grow". Propagating means you get new plants--continuing to grow means that you get more growth on the original plant, and it may get more dense.
What herbs are you growing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I usually cut the twings as marlingardener say and keep them in glass bottle fill of water . Use them as u need and once they start showing roots, replant them :) . I am experimenting the same since three months and it's good. Basil is tough one in Dan Diego hot summer.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I grow a rosemary herb near my window and it has been there for more than 3 years and still going strong. Its used to make infusions of tea and as a condiment in rice. You cannot harvest the leaves individually since they are small. I usually pinch small branches and these are guaranteed to shoot. I have also ever grown coriander and the only way to harvest them is to uproot the whole plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I usually just cut the stems of my basil, use the fresh leaves for the dish that I was making for the day, and the rest I dried them slowly, then crumbled and put in the jar for later use to marinate my meat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When harvesting most culinary herbs (basil, oregano, sage, marjoram for example) it is best to cut the stem just above new leaves, and then strip the leaves from the cut stems. This results in a bushier plant since it sends out new growth from where the little new leaves are.

Well I am so thankful to hear that this is actually what you are supposed to do, because I have doing like this for some time now and really just guessing at it and hoping that it was the right way. I have certainly done things differently in the past, but I would like to think that am getting better with time, which hopefully I am. Thanks for sharing.

Ask a Question