Peace Lilies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have one?

I've had mine for nearly 10 years, its had a couple of babies during that time and moved house twice, but its flowering is very random.

It flowered the second year that I had it and then although it looked very healthy it did not flower for another couple of years and then almost 3 years after that. I've read that the flowers are triggered by chemicals so need to look more into it as do love seeing the flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I had them but never thought that they were difficult to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maybe your plant doesn't get enough sun?
My mother has many peace lilies. They all are very healthy and big. We water them twice a week and feed them around once a month.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a peace lilly that needs help. It has not grown very much and the leaves are not helathy looking, not the dark green that I see the other plants have and also has npt bloomed in some time. I think my problem is the plant needs to be given some nutrients I think the soil is depleted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love peace lily and they are supposed to be good in cleaning out toxin inside the house, but I can't have them as there is no sunlight in our house, and summer is too short here in Michigan.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
No. But it has an interesting look.

Thank you for mentioning it. (y)

They really are great. I got mine mainly for the reason that IcyBC mentions, to filter indoor toxins and improve the air quality.

Sadly I have had to move them from a sunny room to a darker room as I did not realize that they where toxic to cats, thankfully my only cats at the time did not bother with them but we have some crazy cats that have joined the tribe who try to eat everything.

That could be it maybe the lack of direct sunlight, the room they are in is north facing. I've noticed that the leaves have gotten huge since being in that room compared to when in a sunny room the leavess where brighter green and much slimmer. I guess its an adaptation of making their surface area bigger to get more sunlight, I feel mean now realizing this :( . I might try to put a shelf up where the cats cannot get or at least give it a couple of hours a day in a sunny room.

Yes Pat give it a try. I have never bought anything to feed mine which might also be a problem. I've made my own feeds and change the soil every couple of years, maybe not often enough! Coffee grounds, banana and nettle are some of the things I have used. I attracted insects at one point though and had to change the soil and wash the pots out, so I would say to make sure they are fully rotted or liquid first.

Reaction score
Something like that happened with my calla lily, she hadn't bloomed or years, because I kept getting her indoors during the winter. But the winter I wasn't there and was so mild it didn't freeze... it did wonders to her! Apparently calla lilies need to be exposed to a bit cold during the winter, that kinda wakes them up from their ''sleep''.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a peace lilly that needs help. It has not grown very much and the leaves are not helathy looking, not the dark green that I see the other plants have and also has npt bloomed in some time. I think my problem is the plant needs to be given some nutrients I think the soil is depleted.

I have a similar problem too.. We had a peace lily which started off with dark green waxy type leaves and flowered regularly, but it is now currently a light green and not very healthy at all. I have moved it from quite a sunny room to a darker room and nothing has really changed...

I have another peace lily now in the same sunny room which is doing fine... Is it a soil problem do you think?

Thanks

Jeff

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have 2 peace lilles and I like them very much, their name especially but I have found them a little temperamental.....too much water, not enough water, too warm, too cool, bathroom, family room, fresh air time under cover, not undercover. At the moment one in particular is looking pretty good fingers crossed and it is on the verandah under cover. It did live in the bathroom but as I have boomerang adult children at home at present the bathroom has to be functional so no room for pot plants. But even in the bathroom I needed to cater to it quite a bit. Well worth the effort though.;) I was going to go outside and take a photo as it is almost daylight but I realized I am doing this on the home computer not my ipad . Really must work out how to transfer photos from my phone or ipad to this computer. May be I should join a computer forum but it wouldn't be as interesting as this one for me.

Reaction score
Do you have one?

I've had mine for nearly 10 years, its had a couple of babies during that time and moved house twice, but its flowering is very random.

It flowered the second year that I had it and then although it looked very healthy it did not flower for another couple of years and then almost 3 years after that. I've read that the flowers are triggered by chemicals so need to look more into it as do love seeing the flowers.

You will rarely see a older Peace Lily in mass bloom again and you're right that's it's to do with chemicals / hormones and This website explains it a bit more. Mine does flower most years still though, although only two or three flowers. It's in a South facing room, but quite deep into it, so although it gets a lot of light by the time its filtered down its probably weaker than that in a North facing widow ledge. Also I only water mine when it starts to wilt (mainly because I forget to do it normally! lol). Flowers or no flowers the leaves are quite attractive anyway so its not all bad.

Ask a Question