Painting My Thumb Green

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone.

I'm not very good at these, but I'll try.
I also have my son hanging off me, as it's high time we go to bed, so I'll likely not be able to squeeze as most posts as I'd have liked in right away.

My name is Saif. I'm a 26 year old, father and husband, from Melbourne, Australia.
I'm an amatuer gardener., which sucks as I have a deep desire to grow as much food as I can myself. For the sake of accomplishment, sustainability and I guess price is a factor as well.

At the moment I'm growing a few things, as our Spring has just Sprung.
Corn, Kohl Rabi, Lettuce, Tomato (a few heirloom varieties), Rockmelon, Watermelon, Mexican Gherkins and a few others bits and bobs.

Looks like a fantastic forum.
Can't wait to fully engage with you all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum!

As you kow, we here in Canada are just starting toward winter. How I wish we were approaching spring again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum Saif! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My advice to a new gardener is to take it easy. Since you already have crops in your garden, what you can do is to observe the growth of your plants. Experiment with the irrigation to determine the amount of water needed by each plant. There are vegetables that drown with too much water. Lettuce is nice to raise since it grows quickly but you have to be on the lookout for pests that would eat the leaves. Good luck and we will await the photos of your harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Saif. :) If you're already growing some vegetables then you know the basics and it won't take you long to expand your knowledge. Members here will be ready to help you along the way.

Reaction score
Hi Saif! Welcome to the forum, you might be very happy to hear we have plenty of Aussies in this forum :) So I am sure you will feel like at home very soon! I think it's admirable you want to grow as much produce as possible, good for you! I think you live in the right country for that and the options are endless!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks everybody.
I agree, there's no better place to do it. Also there's the fact that we are having some amazing weather and an amazing beginning to summer. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13B in the summer higher.
Country
Puerto Rico
Welcome to the site Saif! What a wonderful assortment of fruits and vegetables you have! Wish you the best of luck in your green journey!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks! It's all going amazingly.
I'm falling in love with food gardening, honestly.
Something I really want my children to learn from too (about food, where it comes from, and why we need to respect it, and the planet.)

Ask a Question