Organic lawn care

Reaction score
I'm definitely not into manicured lawns, and I don't use any weedkiller anywhere in my garden. The trouble is I hate to see so many weeds in my grass at times. I am aware of the benefit of some weeds in the garden, particularly for pest control, but I don't want them to get too out of hand in my grass.

Does anyone have any home remedies that don't involve harsh chemicals, for the treatment of weeds? I've seem some suggestions online for using bicarbonate of soda, salt, and even vinegar in some instances, but I'd to know what people here think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm definitely not into manicured lawns, and I don't use any weedkiller anywhere in my garden. The trouble is I hate to see so many weeds in my grass at times. I am aware of the benefit of some weeds in the garden, particularly for pest control, but I don't want them to get too out of hand in my grass.

Does anyone have any home remedies that don't involve harsh chemicals, for the treatment of weeds? I've seem some suggestions online for using bicarbonate of soda, salt, and even vinegar in some instances, but I'd to know what people here think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
The best long term weed preventer is a lawnmower. Other than that there is an organic way that works fairly well. One gallon of pickling vinegar, 2 oz of orange oil and a squirt of dish soap. Be sure to clean your sprayer after use or it will eat out the rubber seal.

Reaction score
The best long term weed preventer is a lawnmower. Other than that there is an organic way that works fairly well. One gallon of pickling vinegar, 2 oz of orange oil and a squirt of dish soap. Be sure to clean your sprayer after use or it will eat out the rubber seal.

Thank you, I'll try that. I don't mow as regularly as some, but maybe I ought to do it a bit more in the summer to try and keep the weeds down as you say. I have heard about using vinegar, but didn't realize you need the pickling type.

Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, I'll try that. I don't mow as regularly as some, but maybe I ought to do it a bit more in the summer to try and keep the weeds down as you say. I have heard about using vinegar, but didn't realize you need the pickling type.

Thanks again. :)
You can use regular 3% vinegar but the 11% pickling works better. There is also horticultural vinegar which is 20% which works even better but it is a little pricey. As far as the mowing goes you don't have to mow all the time. Just don't let the weeds go to seed and they will gradually disappear

Ask a Question