Organic Ashitaba

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Ashitaba or Angelica keiskei is known here in the Philippines as a medicinal plant. Rumor has it that prisoners in Japan lived for a long time despite being starved because they ate the ashitaba leaves that grew around the prison every day.

My mom has a whole space in the garden dedicated to this plant as you can see by their growth in the picture. She eats around five leaves every morning because it helps control her blood pressure and sugar levels. When I have a cold, I pick around twenty leaves and boil them to make tea. Doing so certainly makes me feel a lot better. What's more special is that we don't use any kind of fertilizer to propagate them.

nl4kgl.jpg

Reaction score
Awesome! I also need to control my sugar levels! I had no idea there was another plant able to do that, I have tried almost everything, but it either caused side effects or didn't work or tasted terrible. Wish I could try this!

Reaction score
Now, if they can help people loose weight, I would be all in! You could probably make a pretty penny selling them too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Some people claim that ashitaba tea can help people lose weight. I have been trying, but I think that I am eating more pizza than the tea! Hahahaha. But yes, they can control sugar levels very well. They also boost a person's immune system!

I told my mom that maybe we can sell them, but she doesn't want to. She prefers to give the plants to relatives. Oh well. :)

Reaction score
You got the wrong plant. That is not Ashitaba, that's actually Gynura Procumbens, another medicinal plant with almost similar benefits. Some vendors mistakenly sell it as Ashitaba but they're not quite the same. The real Ashitaba has a sticky yellow sap in its leaves or stem.

Here's an image of the real Ashitaba:

ashitaba.jpeg

Ask a Question