Orchid feeding

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Busy morning feeding all my Orchid with rainmix today and washed all the leaves with tepid water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have an orchid too:) I received it three days ago. It hasn't bloomed yet, but it already developed a few buds. I'm so excited! Should I feed it now, or wait?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Claudine are the roots of your Orchid green as if green no need to feed yet .

Or if roots are white and pot is light its time to water

You will know if pot is mot heavy

I have got into a habit of feeding my orchids once a month and this works for me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have an orchid too:) I received it three days ago. It hasn't bloomed yet, but it already developed a few buds. I'm so excited! Should I feed it now, or wait?
I would wait. Orchids are easy to over fertilize and over water. During blooming I never fertilize. Those fleshy leaves hold a lot of water and the roots like to feel the air and hate (rot) wet feet. I treat my orchids similar to my succulents with great success. Others might do it differently and be successful also. This is just what works for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you both for responding to my question:) The roots of my orchid are green and the soil is moist, so I won't water or fertilize it yet. I'll wait:) I hope it will bloom soon!:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used to feed my orchid once a week. It seemed to work as much orchid kept its flowers for 8 months before they finally fell off. I've heard you can also put a few ice cubes on the soil once a week to water it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Orchids are a tropical plants by adding a ice cubes you can end up with frost bite on the roots, I water all my orchids once a week and feed them at the same time using 1/4 strength fertilize thats called for. My orchid dry out fast because I use lava stone in the bottom of the pot or there growing in all lava stone. Orchids like lots of air movement it will help prevent root rot from staying wet too long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Orchids are a tropical plants by adding a ice cubes you can end up with frost bite on the roots, I water all my orchids once a week and feed them at the same time using 1/4 strength fertilize thats called for. My orchid dry out fast because I use lava stone in the bottom of the pot or there growing in all lava stone. Orchids like lots of air movement it will help prevent root rot from staying wet too long.

I was about to say that the direction on my orchid saying to feed it 5 ice cubes a month! It seems like a wrong thing to do but I did follow the direction and only give it 3 ice cubes. My orchid has been living with me for about two years now, and it has re-bloomed twice too.

Should I stop feeding it ice cubes?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey all

I used to (part) own a 10 acre orchid farm in west Java and another 5 acre species collection in Bali, so I know a little about orchids. Orchids are the largest family of flowering plants with over 25,000 species and are found from inside the arctic circle to the tropics. What your orchid likes will depend on where it's from, you need to do some research on your plant and try to match the conditions it would experience in nature. I have no idea what your orchid is IcyBC and off the top of my head I can't think of any that like ice cubes but that's only because my experience is with tropical orchids. I have friends who are into carnivorous plants that grow Darlingtonia californica and they need icy water on their roots to do well so it's not impossible that there are orchids that like it too. Post a pic of your orchid if you don't know what it is and that will make it easier to see what conditions will help your plant thrive.

Cheers, Troy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
With all the orchids I have this my favorite one, it takes 2 people to move it out side come summer Its a ground orchid and can grow out side in a warmer zone

Epidemdrum reed stem orchid

Reed stem orchid 001.JPG Reed stem orchid 003.JPG reed stem 2.jpg

Ask a Question