Okra flower

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I never thought that okras have such beautiful flowers. I just want to share this picture I took of one of the flowers of my okra plant. I'm sorry for the quality though! I'm not a good photographer. :p

2wmn912.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a pretty flower on you vegetable plant, it looks alot like a morning glory.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It is pretty! I've seen it compared to a hibiscus flower in a growing article on cultivating okra. Did you know that the blossoms are also considered to be edible? Just a few plants produce a lot of okra, nice to know you can use the flowers in salads if you wanted.

Reaction score
It is pretty! I've seen it compared to a hibiscus flower in a growing article on cultivating okra. Did you know that the blossoms are also considered to be edible? Just a few plants produce a lot of okra, nice to know you can use the flowers in salads if you wanted.

This is news to me as i had no idea that the flower on the okra plants could be used in salads. Do you have a recipe that you could post?
This is something i would definitely give a try as i enjoy okra a lot.

Reaction score
I never thought that okras have such beautiful flowers. I just want to share this picture I took of one of the flowers of my okra plant. I'm sorry for the quality though! I'm not a good photographer. :p

2wmn912.jpg
That okra blossom is beautiful. I've never seen one before. I love the way the petals are shaped. Thank you for sharing your photo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's really lovely!:) I don't grow okras, so I had no idea what their flowers look like. Now, I know that they're very pretty:)
I have a soft spot for white flowers with symmetrical petals.

Reaction score
It's really lovely!:) I don't grow okras, so I had no idea what their flowers look like. Now, I know that they're very pretty:)
I have a soft spot for white flowers with symmetrical petals.

I think these okra blooms are similar to that of my passion plant...right at this moment there is a lot of blooms on my passion fruit plant and it's so beautifully.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think these okra blooms are similar to that of my passion plant...right at this moment there is a lot of blooms on my passion fruit plant and it's so beautifully.
This sounds lovely! Could you take a picture of them?:) I like passion plants very much, even though I've never had a chance of growing them. Passion flowers look so beautiful and exotic!

Reaction score
Very nice! I love eating okra. It reminds me of my childhood. I'm going to plant some next year if you have any tips. I need all the advice I can get :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Very nice! I love eating okra. It reminds me of my childhood. I'm going to plant some next year if you have any tips. I need all the advice I can get :)
Hmm... I started my okra from the seeds I got for free at a fair here. I then planted a bunch of them in a round container. They grow pretty fast unlike other vegetables. They also don't die easily because birds, for some reason, don't eat their leaves. Just water them regularly. I water mine twice a day because the climate here is very hot. I transferred directly to the soil about a month after I planted them.

Reaction score
I had no idea okras could bear such a beautiful flowers! Oh my! Is that a bit purple in the center? That ought to be one of the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen growing from a vegetable!

Reaction score

Awesome! What a nice way to use every single bit of the plant ;) I knew you were the expert in this kind of things, after all I read your old post about edible flowers :) I think oyu created a post on part of the plants that most of us didn't know that were supposed to be edible too. I miss your posts so much :(:cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b

Really? Hmmm maybe I can try this when my okra has many flowers! What other kinds of greens will taste good with it? Have you tried it before?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Really? Hmmm maybe I can try this when my okra has many flowers! What other kinds of greens will taste good with it? Have you tried it before?

No, I didn't grow okra this year. I would imagine you could mix the petals in any light green salad with lettuce or even spinach. I wouldn't tadd too many other ingredients though otherwise it'll end up too muddled. I have made stuffed squash blossoms though - yum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Awesome! What a nice way to use every single bit of the plant ;) I knew you were the expert in this kind of things, after all I read your old post about edible flowers :) I think oyu created a post on part of the plants that most of us didn't know that were supposed to be edible too. I miss your posts so much :(:cry:

You are too kind! I have two gardens now and I've been busy with the event and relationship stuff. I joined a gardener's swap group on Facebook a few months back, and I now have a bunch of plants and cuttings from three other gardeners I've been looking after. I should probably start a post about those!

Ask a Question