Non-Grass Lawns

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
What's the prettiest or neatest lawn you've seen that had no grass?

This year I decided to leave the creeping charlie alone to grow wild, along with plantain, dandelions, and wild violets. What we ended up with is a backyard that doesn't need mowing very often(still working on pulling up grass in the front) and it changes colors with the season. By late fall it was a solid green, but it was yellow and purple off and on through the spring and summer. I had to get creative by putting up a morning glory "fence" beside the property line so my neighbor wouldn't kill my "yard" with his poison. The front yard is still very obvious in spots where he's gotten a little free with the chemicals and it's blown into my yard. I plan to do the same "fence" or plant border in the front next year because it worked so well as a buffer in the back.

Other than "weeds" (most of which we eat or use in tea, by the way), what other ideas for non-grass yards have you seen? What would you be willing to try?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The local Land bank is going to start putting clover in all the vacant lots here starting next spring because it needs less mowing and natural rainfall here is sufficient. I had a clover lawn when I lived in Colorado, it stayed green in that arid climate without watering. It annoys me to no end seeing people using a lot of water and commercial chemicals just to keep a green lawn when there are so many different options!

My current lawn is like yours; I just let whatever grow naturally, its very thick and green and I never have to water or fertilize! Grass, creeping charlie, clover, mint, wood violets etc I do have to mow though because the township would send me nastygrams and a fine. But I leave a lot in the back and side yard go kind of wild.

Reaction score
Honestly, I am a big fan of pebbles on a front lawn. I know it's not the most popular lawn preference, but if you get the right rocks on a front lawn, they actually look quite beautiful. I love to see rocks and random decorations, such as stone fairies and such. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't like creeping charlie as I have them in my backyard and they are just invasive to have in a small area. I also have creeping myrtle and wild violets. These two also are invasive but I don't mind them as much as creeping charlie.

Your yard sounds pretty though! My neighbor also loves using poison in his yard :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are no grasses in these lawns and the use of a mower is not always a requisite. Even when grasses are present as the primary constituent

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love weeds. If I ever have a lawn, I'll let weeds grow everywhere among the grass:)
What I also like are clover lawns. They look adorable!

Your right about letting weeds grow in the lawn, my lawns are mostly cover and weeds with a little grass growing in it. Its takes less water and work to mow unless we get lots of rain then the clover goes wild. My lawns stay green year round.
back yard 010.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your lawn looks beautiful, Fernsdaddy!:) It seems very, very soft and lush. I love it.
I don't think I'll ever have enough patience to create a manicured lawn. It's just not worth it. Clover and little weeds are so much prettier than boring grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love to walk on it with out shoes, it looks good even when its not been mowed in 2 weeks,the dog loves to roll in it too :D if you can call it rolling she just falls over on it and does her best to roll over but she still loves it and so do I.

Ask a Question