Nightmare Plant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i'm Tony and i've got a nightmare in an otherwise acceptable garden! Here is a pic. How do i get rid of it.

Its lifted the path and when i got the slabs there was these thick tough roots growing everywhere including under the lawn...Its Day of the Triffids! HELP

zE8A5qTF11lxyO8FXsB2x1-Pw1D7TdrlfzMX8NgOuhw=w431-h765-no

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Tony, that looks like a variety of bamboo to me. Your description of the roots also sounds like bamboo. From someone who fought the nasty stuff for three years before getting rid of it, let me tell you that you are in for an interesting experience.
We cut it down, leaving about 3" of stalk, poured straight, undiluted herbicide on the stalks, then dug and dug and dug roots. Every little bamboolette that stuck its foul little head out of the ground was dug out.
I don't usually advocate using chemical herbicides, but when fighting bamboo, there is no gentle approach.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all i'm Tony and i've got a nightmare in an otherwise acceptable garden! Here is a pic. How do i get rid of it.

Its lifted the path and when i got the slabs there was these thick tough roots growing everywhere including under the lawn...Its Day of the Triffids! HELP

I hope I am wrong but that sure looks like bamboo. If it is then I hope it is the clumping kind. If it is a non-clumping bamboo the only way I know of to get it out of your life is to move somewhere else. Strong chemicals barely work and it is spread by underground rhizomes which are just about impossible to dig completely out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I've lived with bamboo for many years and it has been an acceptable hedge. It can be maintained but is a lot of work to remove without a backhoe.

Do not water it or any of the area around it. Keep an eye out for shoots searching for watered areas. The best way to maintain it is to use it. I use mine for fencing, staking veggies and craft projects.

Yours looks like some one has pruned the tops and they developed multiple tops. I believe In always cutting any stalks clear to the ground. If it tries to send out runners pull it up as much as possible and clip the runner with pruners. Think of bamboo as one very tenacious grass, because that is what it is. It takes an ax and a lot of tenacity to remove the root ball.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They do look like bamboo when I first see the photo, especially the leaves. Sorry you have a hard time with them, and from what everyone else said here; it seems as if you will have a long hard battle on hands. Wish you luck on getting rid of it!

Reaction score
As someone who has grown bamboo for many, many years and many different varieties too - I would also agree that what you have is very definitely bamboo - but

Cat - Oh My .jpg

its difficult to know where to start - particularly as bamboo is a fairly specialized and complex subject - as not only is it unique to other plants in that the main components of a bamboo consist of rhizomes, roots, culms, branches and leaves - but as it grows in an entirely different way to other plants too - it does require some understanding and knowledge of this process in order to know what you are dealing with - which as it would require an enormously lengthy post in order to explain it myself - hopefully this link will help

http://www.bamboo.org/wp/news/files...asiveness-and-Control-Statement-draft-6-1.pdf

as not only does it contain everything could wish to know about bamboo but also information on how to contain and control it - as well as the one and only effective method of trying to eradicate it.

However as bamboo once it has started to spread is notoriously difficult to eradicate - due to the fact that what you see growing above the ground is nothing in comparison to what is growing below ground and is a long and extremely labor intensive process – particularly as all bamboos are interconnected by underground horizontal shoots known as rhizomes and it is those rhizomes that you are going to have to get rid of - either by digging out or continually cutting back or even both.

I too would say the same as Jewell and instead make the most of what you have by eradicating some and controlling the rest - which would be the far easier option - especially as using any of the following control methods

http://www.villagevolunteers.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Growing-Controlling-Bamboo1.pdf

is going to be way, way easier than trying to eradicate it - apart from that - a properly managed and controlled clump or grove is not only a beautiful sight to behold - but gives off a wonderfully relaxing sound too :love:

I would also just add that - as Chuck has already mentioned - although there are two types of Bamboo in terms of root system " Clumping " which has a rhizome system known as " pachymorph " and " Running " which has a rhizome system known as " leptomorph " - the latter of which is the most invasive and best avoided altogether - as once that gets going there really is no way of stopping it - a word of warning regarding clumping bamboo - as although it is less invasive than running bamboo - it does spread and therefore regardless of what anyone says - if grown in a suburban area it does need to be grown with a 2 - 3 ft underground barrier to stop it from spreading - it will also need to have the underground rhizomes cut back at least once or twice a year - in order to keep it in check and stop it from encroaching into neighboring gardens or anywhere else that you don't want it to.

The only other suggestion I can think of is to see if you could borrow a Panda for a few weeks - as one of those with its enormous appetite - would munch its way through your bamboo shoots in next to no time :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well after reading some of these amusing responses I'm glad I don't have any bamboo here! Although it is rather pretty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Yes BethB, I'm with you. I do like the look of bamboo and have a friend with it. So far not a problem but heaven knows what the future hold. I have some in pots and that's where it's staying after reading these warnings. Thanks for the insight.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I plan to get a bamboo plant but it will stay in a container to keep it under control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Another fun thing about your bamboo is that in many if not most places, if your bamboo gets into your neighbors yard you are legally responsible for it. It can be very damaging to such things as driveways, decks, sidewalks etc. Be sure to check your local ordinances. Here are the three chemicals that will kill bamboo in order of effectiveness. Imazapyr (aka Chopper, Arsenal, Alligare, Assault). Diclobenil (Casoron 4G. Glysophate (RoundUp,). Good Luck

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Other than chemical herbicides you can do the growing death. Cut it down to the ground and ever time you see new growth cut it off after a while you should see less grown because the plant is dieing its killing its self by trying to grow as it dies remove any roots you can find and burn them or place the roots in a dark plastic bag and let the rot in the dark bag or else the will start to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone for your learned and concise information,,even though you have confirmed my worst nightmare!!

Ask a Question