JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was at the store today and saw strawberry roots being sold for a couple bucks and I figured why not? If it grows it grows and if not it was only $2. So I got it home and planted it and it's all set. My question is, will these roots grow into a plant this year with fruit? I'd love to have some strawberries this year but if not I've got no problem waiting either, I just like knowing what to look forward to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The usual idea with Strawberry plants is to remove flowers (meaning no fruit) the first year and let the energy go into making runners that will start new plants. Is it June bearing or everbearing version?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
In that case, perhaps pinching off the first set of flowers that should appear around June, let some runners and new starts get going and in later part of july/Aug let some fruit set if you want.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
IMG_0481.jpg
This is my second year bed of strawberries (with 3 blueberry bushes on the far end). I started with 12 everbearing plants last spring, allowed one or two berries for tasting, the rest were sacrificed, per Everbrown's process. This year they have filled out nicely and a few are already showing small berries, the fabric stored on the tellis is to keep the birds from harvesting before I get my share.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Strawberries are surprising easy to grow and they multiply so quickly. A few plants this year, will be a field next year - well, a little exaggeration maybe, but you get the picture.

I had a small spot in my back yard, beside our pool. It was around the pump area, so I decided to plant some berries. I had maybe 10 plants. By the next year, the entire area was overflowing, and I actually had to dig some up because they were growing into the pump.

One suggestion, or warning. The birds and other critters love strawberries. I would go out and see the plants loaded with pinkish fruit and think, tomorrow I'm going to have a bunch of berries. Then tomorrow, they'd all be gone. What we did was buy some landscape netting - you can get it at any Lowes or Home Depot. We cut it to size and laid it gently on top of the plants, and weighted it down with bricks. That kept the birds out. It made it a little harder to harvest, but at least we got to harvest.

We planted both June and ever bearing and we would get about a pint or two every other day for probably 6-8 weeks. And let me tell you, the taste is out of this world, nothing at all like the ones you get from the store.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the info everyone! I'm looking forward to it. Along with that I bought a Peach Tree yesterday and a Blueberry bush a couple weeks ago so once everything does begin to produce it's going to be fantastic!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You can also bring the season forward by putting strawberry plants into pots and into the greenhouse, if you have one.

I took this photo, yesterday, in the greenhouse I bought from the previous allotment-holder in January.
It's going to be my next "showcase" post:
006_1.jpg

Ask a Question