new raised bed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had to have my 60 foot White Birch tree removed because it was damaging my basement wall, my raised bed is 4 ft X 4 ft and 6 inches tall. there a white hydrangea in a pot in the center and I'll plant Lance Corporal around it, even with it being highly invasive it will grow just about any place. By next year it will look like its been there for ever, I hope.

raised bed 002.JPG

Reaction score
Great job! I've always wanted to create my own raised beds, I might next year :) You guys make everything look so easy and doable, even for a person as clumsy as me :oops: Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your Lance Corporal next year ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your new raised bed looks very pretty and neat! I like it very much:) Planting Lance Corporal around the pot sounds like a great idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Great job! I've always wanted to create my own raised beds, I might next year :) You guys make everything look so easy and doable, even for a person as clumsy as me :oops: Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your Lance Corporal next year ;)

It was a easy build, I had the wood cut at the lumber yard and just screwed them together, then filled it with soil and compost. I take the easy way out if I can :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I had to have my 60 foot White Birch tree removed because it was damaging my basement wall, my raised bed is 4 ft X 4 ft and 6 inches tall. there a white hydrangea in a pot in the center and I'll plant Lance Corporal around it, even with it being highly invasive it will grow just about any place. By next year it will look like its been there for ever, I hope.

View attachment 9129
Looked up Lance Corporal and it will look great in your raised bed and by the information I just read it's a good idea to contain it. I'm sure it will look at home on no time(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Its really hard to contain it, between the birds and the wind the seed are all over. I just pull up what I don't want or move it to some place else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am keeping a close eye on ideas for raised beds because we will be moving into a new house this year and I plan to do some of my own. I like yours because it looks clean in the middle of your lawn there.

Reaction score
It was a easy build, I had the wood cut at the lumber yard and just screwed them together, then filled it with soil and compost. I take the easy way out if I can :D

Awesome, but I have a question, I'd like to grow some edibles in the future... do you think it's safe to use wood for my raised beds? I'm talking about the chemicals they use to treat wood and so on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks fantastic and neatly contained :) Your hydrangea will be the focal point when it blooms. I imagine it will be very beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Awesome, but I have a question, I'd like to grow some edibles in the future... do you think it's safe to use wood for my raised beds? I'm talking about the chemicals they use to treat wood and so on.

I have a raised veggie garden and so far the wood has had no effect on my veggies I had the soil tested in 2013 and it came back clean of any toxic chemicals that would be harmful if you eat the veggies the bed has been there since 2003, I'm chemical free or as free as I can be with all the chemical in the air.

Reaction score
@Fernsdaddy Thanks for the quick answer! But if you don't mind me asking, how did you get your soil tested? Also, what kind of wood did you use? I'm sorry if I ask too many questions, but I'm too new to growing edibles :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Trellum, Ask all the question you want, I'll be more than happy to help if I can.
I had the soil tested at my local garden center, they do it for free for any one who ask, The raised bed is made of ceder, I let the ceder lay out in the sun for a few day just to make sure its dry, I don't know the reason for letting dry out in the sun but that's how I was told to build it so I just do it that way.-

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm planing on 2 more raised beds for next year, they will be 4x4 x 8 to grow my bush beans, I'll plant the first one right after the last frost and the other on about 2 months later this way I'll have all the beans I can eat :D, I've saved about 300 seeds for next year and what I don't use I'll give to the children's garden at the church.
With a raised bed I won't have to do as much bending I can sit and work in the beds. the last 2 pictures are my tomatoes and herb bed and my ebay stepping stone :)
N garden 2015 002.JPG N garden 2015 001.JPG N garden 2015 003.JPG N garden 2015 006.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

They sell untreated wood in home improvement stores since there's lots of projects that require untreated wood, so you're good to go if you wanna make a few.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Untreated wood is a lot cheaper, you can build one in under a half hour, most home improvement store will cut you wood for free or for a small charge if you don't have a saw to cut it.

Ask a Question