New plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My mom went to Lowe's recently and discovered the clearance section. Last weekend she went back and Saturday she brought me six marigold six packs. Yesterday we went together and I got a whole bunch of stuff! (She did too, lol, since I was there to identify a lot of plants she didn't recognize.)

As we were leaving I noticed the milkweed.We chose a nice, healthy one with three plants growing in the container. Then I noticed It had three monarch caterpillars on it! Mom has been pulling dozens of tomato horn worms off her creole tomatoes and peppers every morning so she vetoed the caterpillars :-(

Here's a photo of all my new plants - minus one I didn't realize I forgot to put in the same area.

382198_10201062127413046_24548399_n.jpg

Reaction score
i've been trying to stop by there off and on to check 'cause i know clearance time is close. i want to get at least one more cherry tree (a montmorency. the one i have has put out a few cherries already after one year) when they start discounting them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Uh-oh, my mom better not figure out that discounted fruit trees are a possibility, lol. Although, I have been thinking of getting a fig tree because both my aunt and grandfather like them so much. I have so much to do in the yard already though, maintaining another tree might be a bit much.

Reaction score
We just got a ton a flowers and plants. I planted the violas yesterday and it felt SOOO good!:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I know! I am meeting someone if a few minutes to start walking together and all I want to do is play in the dirt, lol! The mosquitoes drove me indoors last night so I didn't get many of the new plants repotted. Not seen in the photo above is a grape vine - that's going to be an interesting adventure...

Reaction score
then don't take your mother by walmart either, last year they cleared their trees out for $5. i read/heard somewhere that walmart owns lowes (the ones closest to me are nearly in the same parking lot), so i check them both during clearance time.

Reaction score
Wow! It looks like you and your mom had a ton of fun! :D You chose some beautiful plants.

It can be very addicting to buy plants. I have been fighting the urge to go to Home Depot and buy more plants. I find myself searching for reasons to go. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
At some point this weekend I will try and post the pictures from her yard - I told her she needed more flowers to attract more pollinators -- well, that won't be a problem ever again, lol. The yard was practically a farm as it was - and there is still room for more so I hope she will quit before it gets to be too much work!

Oh, and I heard that too about Walmart and; just this morning in fact.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow! It looks like you and your mom had a ton of fun! :D You chose some beautiful plants.

It can be very addicting to buy plants. I have been fighting the urge to go to Home Depot and buy more plants. I find myself searching for reasons to go. lol

Thanks, Lilly! I'll take a better photo after I have everything all repotted. There's so much to do out there and my dad brought over a red desert while I was gone. This morning I went for a walk with someone in my neighborhood and she gave me even more plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, your new plants look absolutely gorgeous:D . Getting new plants is always so much fun, isn't it?:D I wish I could get some more too, unfortunately I'm running out of space and my roses are getting bigger with every month.

Reaction score
Oh Joy! That looks like so much fun. I am going to have to check out Lowes. I started a milkweed from seed this spring. I heard, milkweed attracts a lot of butterflies, I never grown them before so I can't wait to see the results. The reason I bought them in the first place, is because I find the pods to be interesting. The extra pollinators it would attract would be a bonus.

Reaction score
I had hand surgery during planting season last year and due to a family situation this year I've been unable to plant anything new, so I'm totally jealous of your haul! It makes me want to run right out and fill the back of my car with new plants! Thankfully, I'm still in time to plant....so I might just be able to cash in on Lowe's clearance sales as well!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks, Claudine! I made a lot of progress today repotting things. The day has been overcast for the most part so it was a good day for separating/dividing and moving the plants to their new containers. I have to go out in a bit and check on everything and see how well they've tolerated the heat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh Joy! That looks like so much fun. I am going to have to check out Lowes. I started a milkweed from seed this spring. I heard, milkweed attracts a lot of butterflies, I never grown them before so I can't wait to see the results. The reason I bought them in the first place, is because I find the pods to be interesting. The extra pollinators it would attract would be a bonus.

I saw a couple of baby caterpillars on the milkweed today! So excited since mom made me leave the bigger caterpillars behind.

I had hand surgery during planting season last year and due to a family situation this year I've been unable to plant anything new, so I'm totally jealous of your haul! It makes me want to run right out and fill the back of my car with new plants! Thankfully, I'm still in time to plant....so I might just be able to cash in on Lowe's clearance sales as well!

I saw one of my neighbors on the way back from the walk this morning and she'd been there too, lol. She has a mandevilla just like the ones we got when we went. The plants desperately need replanting, (and in some cases pruning) but they were so cheap we ended up with two and three plants for less than $1 each - not to mention the marigolds for less than $0.10 each.

Reaction score
I saw a couple of baby caterpillars on the milkweed today! So excited since mom made me leave the bigger caterpillars behind.
I saw one of my neighbors on the way back from the walk this morning and she'd been there too, lol. She has a mandevilla just like the ones we got when we went. The plants desperately need replanting, (and in some cases pruning) but they were so cheap we ended up with two and three plants for less than $1 each - not to mention the marigolds for less than $0.10 each.
Wow wish I could get plants at that kind of discounted rates here. Here plants are never on sale. I almost always have to pay a heavy price for my plants. However, if I drive to another small town nearby I may get some plants really cheap.. but those are the most common ones. Congrats on your new plants Chanell. They look promising :) I love the excitement you get from buying new plants :)

Ask a Question