New from zone 5

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Hi, everybody! I'm Stephanie and I'm here because I love gardening and was looking for a community of gardeners :) A quick overview - I homestead on 6 acres, raise chickens and other fowl, and home school my five children. As for my garden, I particularly love edible landscaping. I also love beauty, so I try to combine the two. I am always looking for new perennial edible plants to add to my yard. Some of the plants I have already are fruit/nut trees (apple, cherry, peach, nectarine, hardy fig, almond, etc), berry bushes (currants, blueberry, elderberry, raspberry, blackberry, gooseberry, etc), edible vining plants (like grapes, maypop, chocolate vine, hardy kiwi), sunchokes, Egyptian walking onions, asparagus, mushroom logs and more. I enjoy the challenge of gardening for my zone and finding what works.

Anyhow, I'll leave it at that for now. Can't wait to read more around the forum when I get the chance!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
That's a lot gardening and other activities too. . Would love to see some pictures.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! We have chickens and bees, and very large vegetable gardens here in central Texas.
Zone 5 covers a lot of area--could you give us a more specific location so our advice and suggestions would be more helpful?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome :) You certainly have your hands full. :D Stick around and you'll learn something. With everything you have going on there, you'll probably be giving us advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I'm in Michigan :) @marlingardener - I'm hoping to get some bees next year! I've started taking classes at our local bee club so hopefully I'll be ready by then. I'm super excited!

Thank you for the welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Gosh, sounds like you have a lot of work on your hands! How many chickens do you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome! You are growing some unique plants. If you have time please post of pictures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Here are a few pictures :) Some are from last year and the one of my daughter with our chickens is from this year. We have 25 chickens at the moment. The one with the arborvitae hedge is taken from the road looking towards our house. We planted that hedge about 9 years ago and I absolutely love it! The last one is of some of the harvest I got one day last summer :)

Attachments

• IMG_7927.JPG
    IMG_7927.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_7879.JPG
    IMG_7879.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2908.JPG
    IMG_2908.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 259
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for sharing the photos! That's a lovely harvest you've got there :) I love the natural wooden hoarding on your house, they're beautiful!

Reaction score
Hi there Stephanie! Welcome to the forum! You sound like a really busy mom! Homeschooling 5 children can't be easy at all, plus you garden as well. You are my new role model ;) I'd love to be able to do something like that!!! By the way, I used to raise chickens as well :) I hope you like our community, it's so lively and ever growing!

Ask a Question