Neighbor gave us greens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi.... Our neighbor have us these greens. I think it's a type of lettuce but could anyone identify it for me? They don't speak very much English so they didn't understand my question when I tried to ask them....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 241
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Then it isn't lettuce or at least any lettuce I have ever seen. Pinch off a little bit and see what the texture is and what it tastes like. If good eat as is, if not blanch it

It does taste pretty good as is. Will probably use it in a garden salad. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I t looks like Lettuce Little Gem. This is my first year for growing it. It is similar to a miniature Romaine lettuce. Serving size for two and touted to be excellent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where are your neighbors from? I wonder if you could image-search greens + their country of origin to try to identify them? I have clients from quite a few countries and some will bring seeds of vegetables I can't identify to grow here. Maybe try communicating an interest for a recipe would help..got recipe books, or pull recipes up on a mobile device? I think that format would be well understood globally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Where are your neighbors from? I wonder if you could image-search greens + their country of origin to try to identify them? I have clients from quite a few countries and some will bring seeds of vegetables I can't identify to grow here. Maybe try communicating an interest for a recipe would help..got recipe books, or pull recipes up on a mobile device? I think that format would be well understood globally.
Hi.... I did try to ask how to prepare it but they didn't understand. Thanks for idea on how to search. I searched for "Asian greens" and found one that looks very similar called Chinese flowering cabbage. I think that's probably what it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I t looks like Lettuce Little Gem. This is my first year for growing it. It is similar to a miniature Romaine lettuce. Serving size for two and touted to be excellent.
I looked up the lettuce little gem and it looks different from that so I don't think that's what it is. Thx tho!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi.... I did try to ask how to prepare it but they didn't understand. Thanks for idea on how to search. I searched for "Asian greens" and found one that looks very similar called Chinese flowering cabbage. I think that's probably what it is.
There are a lot of Asian greens out there! I've been growing a few Asian veggies lately (daikon radish is yummy!) but am no expert. Take a look at this website http://www.kitazawaseed.com/ - I've been really happy with their products and they probably have something that looks like what you got.

Ask a Question