Need info to solarize my garden beds.

Reaction score
I'm thinking about solarizing my garden beds. I'm in the USDA zone 6. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Do I have to use black plastic or can I use clear?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm thinking about solarizing my garden beds. I'm in the USDA zone 6. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Do I have to use black plastic or can I use clear?
You can use either black or clear. I've always used the clear. The secret though is to thourghly water the area to be solarized before laying down the plastic.

Reaction score
One more question, can I do this over the winter or do I have to wait until next years hot weather sets in?
This is new information to me about soil solarization, very interesting, you can solarize a plot or a container.

Great information in this article http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74145.html

Oh, this is just what I was looking for. Thank you so much for this info! I thought clear plastic was the best idea and my husband thought black plastic. He isn't the gardener though. lol It's too late to expect a full solarization here, but I may do this anyway over the winter and let the weeds and bugs dry up as much as possible before spring. I remember having a camper parked in the same place in the yard at one time and everything underneath it completely died. I guess it got too dry.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The Ants will just love something like that

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually solarizing is a good way to eradicate all kinds of pests in your garden Wire worms, insect eggs of all kinds, harmful bacteria etc. When it gets to be 60C (140F) not too much survives. Doesn't work to good in cooler climates though

Reaction score

Maybe if I solarize in the back yard, it will draw the ants away from my kitchen...they seem to love my counter top. When the weather gets hot they come in and when the weather gets rainy they come in. Seriously you think there would be an ant problem? We have so many ants on our property already. I wish I could get an anteater.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe if I solarize in the back yard, it will draw the ants away from my kitchen...they seem to love my counter top. When the weather gets hot they come in and when the weather gets rainy they come in. Seriously you think there would be an ant problem? We have so many ants on our property already. I wish I could get an anteater.
Ants on countertop? Spray or wipe down with Orange Oil and set out Equal or Nutri-sweet or any of those sweeteners with aspertame in it.

Reaction score
Ants on countertop? Spray or wipe down with Orange Oil and set out Equal or Nutri-sweet or any of those sweeteners with aspertame in it.
I have lived here for years and tried every thing imaginable. Nothing works. I have even called in the professionals and nothing works for them either.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

I'd love an Anteater :)

I had a black plastic tarp over part of the garden, the ants built a huge mound under it, when I lifted it they went into attack mode and killed every last slug and snail that was under it :eek:

Ask a Question