need help with ID

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so i planted seeds titled "usda organic red leaf deer tongue lettuce" and they started to sprout, atleast i think, i will post pictures. They sprouted all over my garden where i planted the seeds but then a few weeks later something sprouts in only 1 location that actually looks like lettuce. Sorry for being an amatuer gardener. Take a look at my pics and help me out please. The first picture is what is all over my garden beds, where i planted respectively. The second pic is the group what looks like lettuce, but thats all thats in my garden.

Signed, confused gardener.

Attachments

• Snapchat--82090133423956815.jpg
    Snapchat--82090133423956815.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Snapchat--43224944218682380.jpg
    Snapchat--43224944218682380.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok so i planted seeds titled "usda organic red leaf deer tongue lettuce" and they started to sprout, atleast i think, i will post pictures. They sprouted all over my garden where i planted the seeds but then a few weeks later something sprouts in only 1 location that actually looks like lettuce. Sorry for being an amatuer gardener. Take a look at my pics and help me out please. The first picture is what is all over my garden beds, where i planted respectively. The second pic is the group what looks like lettuce, but thats all thats in my garden.

Signed, confused gardener.
The first picture is of some kind of tree, possibly a cottonwood or chinese tallow. The second picture is lettuce. How deep did you plant your seeds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow thats so strange to me... i planted the seeds about 1/6 an inch deep. Just enough to cover them with a thin layer. Its my first time gardening though and all in using is organic manuer compost and woodchips for soil. My food compost wont be ready till spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a picture with a more broad overview of one of my beds. The one group with lettuce has about 5 in very very close proximity. Should i try to transplant them farther away from eachother?

Attachments

• Snapchat-8455810431088092273.jpg
    Snapchat-8455810431088092273.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow thats so strange to me... i planted the seeds about 1/6 an inch deep. Just enough to cover them with a thin layer. Its my first time gardening though and all in using is organic manuer compost and woodchips for soil. My food compost wont be ready till spring.
Lettuce seeds must have sunlight to sprout. If they are covered with dirt and sunlight cannot reach them they won't sprout. You plant lettuce by soaking your seed bed with water, sprinkle the seeds on top of the wet soil and then pat down the seeds to achieve good soil to seed contact. Keep the soil moist and they should sprout in 5-7 days. What is your location? If you are in the south it is too early to plant lettuce as it is a cool weather crop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here is a picture with a more broad overview of one of my beds. The one group with lettuce has about 5 in very very close proximity. Should i try to transplant them farther away from eachother?
Looking at this picture the lettuce appears to possibly be dandelion. Red lettuce by the time it is this size should have a reddish tint to it. If it is lettuce thin it when it is a little larger to about 3 inches apart. As it grows thin to 6 inches. But no matter what pull up all of that other stuff now because the longer you wait the more difficult it will be

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for all the advice. You cant see but some of the lettuce does have a reddish tint to it. Im in baton rouge louisiana so definitely the south but our cool weather is just starting. I took advice from a youtube video saying to plant lettuce seeds about 1/8 of an inch deep and to allow slight sunlight to reach them. I have a lot to learn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
After removing all the other plants. I can see that more lettuce is actually aprouting, even though its been around 3 weeks since i planted.

Attachments

• Snapchat-8105283488280132316.jpg
    Snapchat-8105283488280132316.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 206
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh darn, well that sucks but i see a tree being a more likely case as my back yard is full of trees, i even have a very old fig tree that yields a lot every year but whats weird is that this mystery plant is actually popping up in my front yard garden bed where i didnt plant anything, i will let one grow out and see what it is!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I still don't think it's a tree, could it be what we call Bindweed here in Britain, it smothers everything and is difficult to eradicate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh no! :eek: I think the other plants you've pulled out were some kind of bean and I would have let them grow on to see.
I would bet money that those are chinese tallow tree shoots. Especially since dbear lives in Louisanna where they grow wild every where and are quite invasive and almost impossible to get rid of. All they are good for is that in the fall they have gorgeous leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So update, i took some i pulled to two plant biologists at LSU where i study at, they actually couldnt identify it either. The lady said it looks like some tallow tree but then she said something looked off about that and handed it to the head biologist. He examined it for a good minute and couldnt get a for sure id. Maybe i will let one grow out and inform everyone in the future! Good luck gardening and thanks for the advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So update, i took some i pulled to two plant biologists at LSU where i study at, they actually couldnt identify it either. The lady said it looks like some tallow tree but then she said something looked off about that and handed it to the head biologist. He examined it for a good minute and couldnt get a for sure id. Maybe i will let one grow out and inform everyone in the future! Good luck gardening and thanks for the advice
If it is chinese tallow they grow FAST. When I lived in rural Houston I chainsawed them down and a year later they were 10ft high and spreading seeds everywhere. I heard somewhere that they were originally imported as a means to grow pulp wood quickly but they rapidly got out of hand and now are everywhere in that area

Ask a Question