Need help with a good hedge in Texas (large one)

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a farm right in the middle of the city. The land behind us (6 acres) is about to be developed and will really ruin our privacy if we do not plant a good hedge. The hedge will need to be a total of 467 feet long! This is very important to our family as we plan on having grandchildren and would like the privacy for our futures.

Here is the situation:
We are just south of downtown Dallas, TX (about 15-20 minute drive)
Our soil is clay & alkaline with plenty of limestone once you start digging.
Cedars grow VERY well here as do Junipers

I'd rather not plant Cedars or Junipers as the hedge as they are so abundant around here that they are almost considered nuisance plants.

I'd love a hedge that is (in order numerically)
1. Extremely hardy - Very disease resistant, weather tolerant (drought/heat) and will live a long time (not just a decade).
2. I'd like the hedge to grow at least 12ft (but taller is fine)
3. As with any hedge people want fast growing, and that would be nice if #1 and #2 were not compromised.
4. If possible something that grows nice and wide and thick (again so long as #1 and #2 are not compromised)

The main thing I do not want is to plant a hedge that will spring up and then die in 10 years. I'd love a permanent hedge if possible so hardiness is key.

Thank you so much for your time and expertise everybody! :)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Jimmy, a couple of things spring to mind... I hope you have these in Texas...
1. Photinia
2. Vibirnum
3. Murraya

I don't know if the Murraya will get tall enough for you, but it is a lovely looking hedge with small white flowers. The Photinia is large, fast growing and hardy. It has a nice green leaf with red on the new growth. Vibirnums are similar, without the redness, but I have found they are quite thirsty. There are also a couple of varieties with small or large leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm not especially knowledgeable about such things, but the red-tip photinia seems to be the barrier of choice in these parts. They grow really tall and are often used for sound as well as visual barriers. I'm sure they're prone to some diseases but everyone I know who has them has no problems with them. Whole developments in my area have them for borders.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Don't plant a hedge of a single species. A hedge made of multiple species will prevent disease spread, as will as add visual interest and ecological complexity. A hedge 467 feet long should not have all its eggs in one basket.

Actually,Eastern Red-cedar (Juniperus virginiana) should be incorporated into the hedge. They are common, because they are hardy and durable, exactly what the OP says he wants. These native shrubby trees should not be disparaged.

Other Texas natives to incorporate into the hedge in good numbers might include Southern Live-oak (Quercus virginiana) Arizona Cypress (Hesperocyparis arizonica formerly Cupressus arizonica), and Texas Mountain-laurel (Dermatophyllum secundiflorum, formerly Calia secundiflora or Sophora secundiflora)

A few Red-tipped Photinia (Photina x fraseri) would be fine additions to the large, diverse hedge.

Accent the hedge with occasional plantings of Agave, Opuntia, and Yucca.

This is not by any means complete list of interesting possibilities to consider.

Ask a Question