Need an indoor plant for a sunny spot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking for a plant to go on a south facing window sill - it gets the sun through most of the day, so it needs to be something that can tolerate that.

I've been looking around plant nurseries recently but the only thing I've found that I like is a miniature orange tree, but I'm wondering if it's a bit gimmicky? I don't have any experience with them, but it seems like the kind of thing that looks pretty when you buy it, but then it loses all of it's fruit and doesn't look nice. The description says that they have fruit year round, but I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with them?

Any suggestions or alternatives very welcome! :)

Reaction score
I had miniature fruit trees for years and they grew well but never flowered or produced fruit. It was probably something that I wasn't doing, I'm thinking I didn't create high enough humidity for them. Do you want to grow fruit or do you want flowers all of the time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been looking for a plant to go on a south facing window sill - it gets the sun through most of the day, so it needs to be something that can tolerate that.

I've been looking around plant nurseries recently but the only thing I've found that I like is a miniature orange tree, but I'm wondering if it's a bit gimmicky? I don't have any experience with them, but it seems like the kind of thing that looks pretty when you buy it, but then it loses all of it's fruit and doesn't look nice. The description says that they have fruit year round, but I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with them?

Any suggestions or alternatives very welcome! :)
On a window sill? How wide is it or will it be on a table or something? Find out the ultimate size the plant will grow to. The minature fruit trees here grow into a good sized plant. And will it be for consumption, to look at, or both?

Reaction score
Becky although I think that citrus trees are wonderful plants and extremely versatile too - because they look amazing all year round both as an ornamental plant with blossoms that smell delightful and as a fruiting tree.

As I grow a lot of these myself - I think that you might be disappointed if you were to choose the orange tree - as I've never found them to survive or fruit very well when grown inside - as they are very temperamental when it comes to fluctuating temperatures and humidity levels and of course they require at least 8 - 12 hours of strong sunlight a day - in order for them to produce fruit.

I would also be very skeptical about the description - as unless a very new variety has recently been introduced - I haven't heard of a dwarf orange tree that is capable of producing fruit all year round and the only one that I'm aware of to date - is the Calamondin Orange which is a cross between a kumquat and a sour mandarin - which produces fruits on and off throughout the year and although the fruit is a little too tart for eating straight off the tree - is said to be great for making marmalade :D

As you also asked about alternative suggestions - are looking specifically for something edible or would you be happy with something ornamental and would it need to have flowers, be fragrant , easy care or even match a certain color scheme ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Becky although I think that citrus trees are wonderful plants and extremely versatile too - because they look amazing all year round both as an ornamental plant with blossoms that smell delightful and as a fruiting tree.

As I grow a lot of these myself - I think that you might be disappointed if you were to choose the orange tree - as I've never found them to survive or fruit very well when grown inside - as they are very temperamental when it comes to fluctuating temperatures and humidity levels and of course they require at least 8 - 12 hours of strong sunlight a day - in order for them to produce fruit.

I would also be very skeptical about the description - as unless a very new variety has recently been introduced - I haven't heard of a dwarf orange tree that is capable of producing fruit all year round and the only one that I'm aware of to date - is the Calamondin Orange which is a cross between a kumquat and a sour mandarin - which produces fruits on and off throughout the year and although the fruit is a little too tart for eating straight off the tree - is said to be great for making marmalade :D

As you also asked about alternative suggestions - are looking specifically for something edible or would you be happy with something ornamental and would it need to have flowers, be fragrant , easy care or even match a certain color scheme ?
I agree. Here in Texas the most popular citrus grown inside is either the Ponderosa or the Myers Lemon Improved. They do get big unless pruned. I can't even begin to suggest anything until I know how much area is involved and her desires of the plant. And where she lives. What grows here may not even be available or grow there.

Reaction score
You could try growing money plants. I am not sure what their exact name is, or if this is just a made up name, but everyone I know refers to it as a money plant. It basically grows out like a vine and has the greenest leaves a plant could. I keep mine in direct sunlight and it looks like it grows about 2-3 leave every week. Look into it and give it a try :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for the helpful responses everyone - much appreciated!

In answer to your questions, the chosen plant doesn't have to be a fruit producer, I'm just looking for something decorative. If it smells nice then that's a bonus, but it's not a requirement. In terms of colour, I'm easy - it will be going in our kitchen which is mostly oak furniture and black leather chairs, so any colour will look fine.

@gata montes yup it was a Calamondin Orange I saw. The one I saw a while ago which kick-started the whole thing was about a foot tall and it had been grown against a small trellis - therefore making it perfect for the window sill. However it sounds like citrus plants can be quite temperamental so maybe I should avoid it...

@Gardener I like your suggestion for a money plant... it got me thinking that instead of just one plant I could perhaps have some succulents instead. I thought about having a cactus, but I have friends with small children and I wouldn't want them to hurt themselves (it's well within reach for a toddler). Also if we have kids then that's another reason not to have spikey plants around! So succulents might be a nice decorative option.

Never had any succulents before so this could be an interesting learning curve! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps one of the crotons? Colourful, and love the sun!
John

I really like the look of Crotons, they are so pretty! I was looking at them a while ago and I seem to recall they don't like direct sunlight though?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So as I posted in another topic, I went for a Pandan plant in the end. I also got some Kaffir Lime plants (three small ones - they weren't selling larger single ones at the time) - my thinking is that even if they don't fruit, it's the leaves I use.

Just waiting for them to be dispatched, and once they arrive I'll share some photos. I'd better brush up on my east Asian cooking! :D

Ask a Question