My roses never survive

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I love roses and getting them is a rare occasion so when I do get them I like to savour them and make sure that they last.
Unfortunately in the climate that we live in, they just don't last long and it doesn't matter what you do to them to make them last, they just cant make it for longer than a week.
Does anyone have a secret to their survival?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I assume you are talking about cut flowers, not rose bushes. If you keep the bouquet out of direct light, change the water daily, and add an aspirin to the water they may last longer. A lot depends on how they were handled at the florist, and whether they come to you in just-breaking flowers or in full bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm wondering if you mean cut flowers as well. Roses are very easy to grow, and don't require anything special for survival. However, it might help us to advise you if we knew where "here" is and what the climate conditions are that make it so difficult. What is your growing zone? Average temperature? Rainfall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You need to shorten their stems and change their water once a day. Also, you can add some salt to it.
Some of my cut roses lived for more than two weeks:)

Ask a Question