My First Tulip For 2015

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Despite the fact that we have snow flurries this past week, my first tulip is blossom. With winter dragging its feet all the way through April, I think, I only hope that the spring flowers won't be affected by the chilling temperature.

This tulip has a light yellow color and it is so pretty to see.
IMG_1368.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
That's lovely to see IcyBC a great shot too! :)

My American Geography has been a bit backward over the years but I'm starting to catch up having recently joined this forum. You are in Michigan I see which is above Ohio and near to Ontario if I'm right and I believe that you have a short summer season in that area, would that be right too?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tulips are one of my favorite flowers and they are in full bloom here in the Pacific Northwest. I believe we are out of the woods here for potential snow this year and we did not get any snow over the winter. That is really strange for us and must have something to do with global warming. ..I think. There is a large population of Dutch people in this area and so we have festivals around the blooming time of the tulips.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
That's a beautiful Tulip I see. The weather here is not conducive although up north they have succeeded under simulated conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's lovely to see IcyBC a great shot too! :)

My American Geography has been a bit backward over the years but I'm starting to catch up having recently joined this forum. You are in Michigan I see which is above Ohio and near to Ontario if I'm right and I believe that you have a short summer season in that area, would that be right too?

You are right with both questions :) We have short summer and it usually goes by so fast. If there are flowers around, they will have to hurry up and bloom or they will miss their chance to bloom. I think we have around three months and then back to winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tulips are one of my favorite flowers and they are in full bloom here in the Pacific Northwest. I believe we are out of the woods here for potential snow this year and we did not get any snow over the winter. That is really strange for us and must have something to do with global warming. ..I think. There is a large population of Dutch people in this area and so we have festivals around the blooming time of the tulips.

Sounds like a fun event and I am glad your tulips made it. Not sure about mine just yet! I see lots of leaves and a couple more flower heads forming so far. The daffodils seem to love the colder temperature than the tulips, I believe!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ours have come in quick. Pretty enough to cut a couple and bring them in to place on the table. But now they are gone and only a few petals are left. We have had a lot of wind and rain, and I was surprised they lasted as long and as well as they did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a beautiful tulip, IcyBC! I like its light shade of yellow, because it reminds me of spring, baby chicks and sunshine:) It's lovely!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You are right with both questions :) We have short summer and it usually goes by so fast. If there are flowers around, they will have to hurry up and bloom or they will miss their chance to bloom. I think we have around three months and then back to winter.

Three months isn't long! How do you get on growing plants in your area? I presume you would have to grow under lights and have heated greenhouses?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Three months isn't long! How do you get on growing plants in your area? I presume you would have to grow under lights and have heated greenhouses?

I wish I have a green house, but I don't! I have more perennials in my little garden flowers and buy some annual just to mix it up. The perennials started to come back at the end of April, and lasted until the end of October. Black-eyed Susan, Shasta Daisy, and Coneflower can tolerate a bit of cold weather, which I love.

Spring flowers like tulips, hyacinths and tulips don't last too long though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to see some pictures of your flowers when they are in bloom later on, if that's okay with you IcyBC. :) I've tried to grow Coneflowers from seed this spring but they've failed to germinate. I've tried twice in two different types of compost and with and without heat too, so I don't know what's going wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like a fun event and I am glad your tulips made it. Not sure about mine just yet! I see lots of leaves and a couple more flower heads forming so far. The daffodils seem to love the colder temperature than the tulips, I believe!

We had a very bad winter a few years ago last time I owned a house and thought for sure I would have to dig up my bulbs and start fresh with new ones. I guess tulips are a very hearty plant because they ended up sprouting the next spring. They come from Europe so they must be used to very cold weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's such a pretty bloom! I miss Washington. The tulip festival is probably wrapping up by now. It's kinda funny but interesting tidbit- Washington has actually outstripped Europe for tulip varieties and the like. A friend of mine in Europe was talking about how most of her fancy tulip varieties have been coming more and more from Skagit County than Holland, over the past few years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's such a pretty bloom! I miss Washington. The tulip festival is probably wrapping up by now. It's kinda funny but interesting tidbit- Washington has actually outstripped Europe for tulip varieties and the like. A friend of mine in Europe was talking about how most of her fancy tulip varieties have been coming more and more from Skagit County than Holland, over the past few years.
That is hilarious, who would have thought that Washington would outgrow Holland. I guess our weather conditions are just a little better? The Tulip Festival will be wrapping up this weekend and it is such a sad time because all of the festitivies are great fun. I grew up around Skagit County, so I have fond memories of running through the fields.

Ask a Question