My Bare Rooted Fig Tree

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Okay guys, so I purchased a bare rooted Fig tree in about June (winter here) and have been caring for it since I planted it.
We're mid-Spring now and have hot some very warm days but I'm seeing no action in the way of growth.

Getting super-worried it may be dead? It just really looks like a dry stick.

I have it potted (in a large pot) as per the advice I got at the nursery (we're renting and I didn't wanna just give it up as we may move in the next year or so...)

Are my concerns unfounded? Should I just watch it?
Or does it sound pretty dead given how far into Spring we are?

:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay guys, so I purchased a bare rooted Fig tree in about June (winter here) and have been caring for it since I planted it.
We're mid-Spring now and have hot some very warm days but I'm seeing no action in the way of growth.

Getting super-worried it may be dead? It just really looks like a dry stick.

I have it potted (in a large pot) as per the advice I got at the nursery (we're renting and I didn't wanna just give it up as we may move in the next year or so...)

Are my concerns unfounded? Should I just watch it?
Or does it sound pretty dead given how far into Spring we are?

:(
Scratch the bark. If it is green it's alive. If not then that part is dead. Are there any signs of little buds or tiny raised spot on the limbs? How much was it watered at and after planting?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
As advised by the nursery I kept it well watered and made sure the soil was well drained. :)
To this day I've not let a day go by without a sprinkle.

I'll scratch the bark when I get home.
We have no signs of life as yet. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Winter is coming to an end. If you have been watering as you indicated I would stop watering for awhile. Figs like moisture but they also can survive droughts with minimum moisture. You cannot over water a plant but your can water too often

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sure.
I find your last comment a tad confusing though...

Do you mean I should water less often, but I also can't possibly drown a Fig Tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sure.
I find your last comment a tad confusing though...

Do you mean I should water less often, but I also can't possibly drown a Fig Tree?
Yes, exactly. When you water you should water deeply and only when the plant needs water. Completely soak the soil. The excess will evaporate and/or drain away in a short period of time. When you water every other day the soil will become wet and stay that way. When that happens 2 things happen. The roots start to rot and the plant slowly dies of lack of oxygen. Mother Nature doesn't water her plants ever other day and they seem to be doing OK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Makes sense.
Thank you so much.

I've noticed, in the last few days though a few nodes growing off it.
So a good sign.

I also took your advice and scratched the bark - we might be actually doing alright.

Exciting times. As I love Figs, and hate their price lolll.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Scratch the bark. If it is green it's alive. If not then that part is dead. Are there any signs of little buds or tiny raised spot on the limbs? How much was it watered at and after planting?

That's also what I'm going to do - scratch the bark but carefully so in case you find a green color then it is alive. If the bark is brown and brittle and the wood is also brown then it's time to say goodbye. I'm sorry if it's dead. It can happen sometimes so do not fret, just buy another sapling. And next time, get one which has many budding leaves.

Ask a Question