Mushrooms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My boyfriend and I just got into a discussion about growing our own mushrooms. Does anyone know of good places to review that have information on doing this, or maybe you have some suggestions. We are also looking for where you get seeds for them. I can't seem to find them in regular seed catalogs or stores anywhere. We want to grow a different variety of them but your typical white is what we want the most.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Growing mushrooms is a very satisfying hobby! I could explain it all to you, but my best advice is to check out the Shroomery! It is the most valuable tool I have in mushroom cultivation.

For the record, there are no mushroom "seeds" lol. You grow them from spores which are suspended in a syringe full of sterilized water. They aren't plants, you see, they are fungi.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love mushrooms but I never thought about growing my own mushrooms. I think I will look into what is needed to grow the mushrooms. I read the other thread on growing mushrooms and will have to get some sterle soil. Can they be grown in the winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
They can be grown in winter, but most species prefer to be in the upper 70's. It's a bit easier indoors.

Also, they don't grow on soil. The preferred substrate will vary from species to species, but I mainly use sterilized wild bird seed. Oyster mushrooms, which are the most beginner-friendly mushroom and one of the tastiest, grows great on used coffee grounds

Growing mushrooms is very fun and rewarding, but cleanliness and sterility are very important. Don't forget that, and you'll be good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I love mushrooms and I have been watching videos on how to grow them lately. There is one thing I don't understand: why the importance of the sterility. I'm curious, because when they grow in the wild they don't have a sterile environment and they seem to grow perfectly well.

Of course, when I do it, I'm gonna sterilize everything, but I'd still like to know the reason :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
ThatKidWithTheFace what would you suggest what type of contrainer I should grow the mushrooms in the house? We do not keep our house that warm during the winter, no higher than 72 degrees, but I could probably get a small greenhouse just for the mushrooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Growing mushrooms is a very satisfying hobby! I could explain it all to you, but my best advice is to check out the Shroomery! It is the most valuable tool I have in mushroom cultivation.

For the record, there are no mushroom "seeds" lol. You grow them from spores which are suspended in a syringe full of sterilized water. They aren't plants, you see, they are fungi.

LOL I know, but I could not think of the word for some reason so I said seeds instead. :p where do you buy the spores though. By the way, I did a search on Shroomery and all I got was the one dedicated to the drug shrooms, maybe I missed it. :D :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Country
United States
"Drug shrooms" are a pretty common topic there, but they're grown in the same manner.

Everythingmushrooms.com is a good site if you just want to grow some mushrooms and don't want to get serious about it.

Shroomsupply.com is a great place to check out if you want to get serious about it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love mushrooms and I have been watching videos on how to grow them lately. There is one thing I don't understand: why the importance of the sterility. I'm curious, because when they grow in the wild they don't have a sterile environment and they seem to grow perfectly well.

Of course, when I do it, I'm gonna sterilize everything, but I'd still like to know the reason :)

Sterility is important because you are creating the perfect environment for fungas. You want to make sure that the mushrooms are the only fungus that grows!

ThatKidWithTheFace what would you suggest what type of contrainer I should grow the mushrooms in the house? We do not keep our house that warm during the winter, no higher than 72 degrees, but I could probably get a small greenhouse just for the mushrooms.

72 degrees should be fine. Heck, right now I'm lucky if my growroom stays in the upper 60's! Lower temperatures mean slower colonization, but it won't hurt unless it freezes.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
On a similar note, has anyone had successes with growing mushrooms from a store-bought kit? I'm eyeing an Oyster mushroom kit at my local grocery stores, but I'm wondering if they're any good.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Store-bought kits are a serious waste of money. Save yourself some cash and do it from scratch. It's much more fun that way.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Store-bought kits are a serious waste of money. Save yourself some cash and do it from scratch. It's much more fun that way.

Thanks for the feedback! I guess it would be a lot more satisfying bringing up your own mushrooms from scratch. I'll have to check out the Shroomery later today.

Ask a Question