Mushrooms in my garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Would like to first kill them and second keep them from coming back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would like to first kill them and second keep them from coming back.
Why? They will shortly disappear by themselves. They are a sign of good soil and are helping break down organic matter in the soil. They are the end product of fungus in the soil and will soon die and breakdown into spores. Kill the fungus kill the soil. That will make for very unhappy plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They smell so bad we cant sit on our patio.
Can you send a picture of these things? I have never heard of an odoriferous fungal mat/toadstool/mushroom before and I have been around a long time. Where do you live?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It's a falic symbol

Attachments

• 20150930_073322.jpg
    20150930_073322.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 237
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's a falic symbol
I learned something today. What you have is called the Stinkhorn mushroom. To get rid of them collect the little white egg looking things close to those sticking up out of the ground and put them both in a trash bag. Then mix 1/2 cup of bleach per gallon of hot water and pour on the area. There are no chemical controls. Their favorite food is wood mulch. Get rid of the mulch and get rid of the fungi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
They smell so bad we cant sit on our patio.

That is the type of mushroom with big leaves. We also have that here sometimes. What we do is to scrape the mushroom so the roots will be removed as well. The problem is when the mushroom sprouts on the bark of the mango tree - it is not good to harm the bark for the tree may die. We manually uproot the mushroom growing on the bark of the mango tree as what we did the other day. It is rainy season here, the season for mushroom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those are pretty to look at but if they are stink, then remove them from the root. I wouldn't use chemical to kill them though.

Reaction score
The fact that they smell is pretty odd. I don't think I've ever had a problem with smelly mushrooms. I actually enjoy seeing them in the garden. I hope your problem was solved!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Stinkhorn smells horrid haha. What you see is the fruiting body, the actual network that keeps the mushroom alive is in the soil, if you dig around and see white fibers, that's the true mushroom part. The best way to get rid of them is to use a dish soap mixture.

Ask a Question