Mushrooms and Various Methods of Preparation

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you prepare your mushrooms? I personally prefer to steam them back to life and then make sure the water is boiling beneath them with scented sauces, ranging from but not limited to chinese duck sauces to BBQ (Hickory smoked) to Ranches (Buttermilk especially). It will eventually take on the flavor as the vapor steams it into it them. I then love to dip them in crab cheese wanton fillings like most chinese buffets do. I could probably sit there and eat them all day long like this.

How do you like to prepare them? Sauteed? Steamed like me? Deep fried in a dough-like mixture like a blooming onion or awesome blossom? I know I like them pretty much any way they can be made.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love braised mushroom served with fried onions, cooked buckwheat with butter and sour cabbage. It's one of my favorite dishes. I would gladly eat it every day:)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Mushrooms sauteed with butter and garlic are absolutely amazing. Other than that, I use it as a minor ingredient in other dishes. Sliced up to put in soups, or diced as a nice filler in pasta sauces. :)

Reaction score
I usually just add them in with the vegetables. I have some seasoning or sauce ornmaybe just spices. Usually i steam my veggies.

Reaction score
My favorite way to cook them is in butter with an extra-generous serving of salt!

Everything is better with butter and salt!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My favorite way to cook them is in butter with an extra-generous serving of salt!

Everything is better with butter and salt!

That is such a true statement. I never thought of that. It doesn't even matter the TYPE of salt, either. It could be garlic. Onion. Normal Table. Sea Salt. However, instead of rule butter I prefer my sautes with canola or margarine as it burns off faster and leaves a better tasting crisp. Butter takes longer to seep in, to be sure, but will make a better taste. It's really all about preference. Half the time I saute my mushrooms I do them in real butter, though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just tried cooking them in eggs AFTER browning them. Then I tried sauteing them and dropping them in. The latter made them taste like a burrito and the former made them taste like Chinese eggs.

Aside from Saute and Steam, I've diced them up into chunks and baked them inside a bread-crumb base. They come out awesome. Wrap in bacon for multiple success!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?RXDXZ 4 August 2010 Cooking mushrooms (agaricus bispous).
Cooking the (agaricus bispous), common commercial mushroom. I decide to experiment and have for several years utilized the following cooking method. The mushrooms are scrubbed thoroughly with a brush under water to remove any growing media residue. A pot on high heat with a slice of butter is placed on the heat and the mushrooms introduced. Any reasonable amount of mushrooms can be placed in the pot. The mushrooms are cooked (boiled in their own juices) for about fifteen minutes and stirred periodically. There may be a significance amount of moisture present, and this is absorbed by boiling without the lid being removed. A splash of soy sauce is added and stirred vigorously until all the mushrooms are brown. The finished product retains the mushroom shape, and is very meaty in texture. The finished product may be kept in the refrigerator and warmed up in a microwave for serving with little loss in shape.texture and taste, hence the mushrooms can be cooked prior to a meal. Often at family gatherings, I am asked to bring the cooked mushrooms, indicating the method has a bit of merit.

I use the same process on oyster mushrooms, when I pick them. The end product is almost like a small steak. I like the idea of actually cooking them to their centre. Simple frying, which is the norm, other than placing in stews, only toasts the outside, and the centre probably doesn’t get much heat.
URL

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for that Durgan. I'll have to try that method, and your photo looks very tasty. Before I pan fry mine I boil them however. I cannot stand a mushroom that is halfway done (Ewwwww)

Ask a Question