Moved into a new home with no experience - how to care for/maintain these plants?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
i recently bought my first house with a backyard. I have no experience with yard care or anything.. I have these big bushy plants in the back and front yard, my coworker told me they are perrenials.. Amongst others. I need advice how to care for these! The grass is so long and bushy I want to trim them back. Also the stems have turned brown.
Also, I live in AB, Canada so winter will be here soon!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 352
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! We are probably in similar growing zones.

Can't quite identify what you have there, but the foliage will be transporting goodness to the root system via photosynthesis until frost, most likely. That makes for stronger plants.

So I would leave it all be until your first hard frost, then cut everything back. A good covering of organic (bark, straw) mulch right at the end of the growing season certainly will not hurt, as it will break down and enrich your soil over winter.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You need to take closer shots of the plants for us to determine what they are.

Here's a few shots ! Hopefully you can tell what kind they are :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 296
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome! We are probably in similar growing zones.

Can't quite identify what you have there, but the foliage will be transporting goodness to the root system via photosynthesis until frost, most likely. That makes for stronger plants.

So I would leave it all be until your first hard frost, then cut everything back. A good covering of organic (bark, straw) mulch right at the end of the growing season certainly will not hurt, as it will break down and enrich your soil over winter.
Thanks for your response! I posted more pictures to show the kinds of plants. I'm just wondering how to cut everything back? Especially the plants with the long leaves. My boyfriend and I kind of hate them, but my friend told me these kinds of plants take years to grow and can be expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some sort of feather reed grass, eryngium for sure (last pic), middle plant is Easter lily (the tall ones already yellowing) and maybe some type of hosta (low one in the front, dark green) and maybe money plant (the one with round leaves.)

Anyway. Mother Nature doesnt let plants die off before a killing freeze, and nor should you. :) Kitchen scissors will work just fine and it's OK to lop foliage off right to the ground once cold weather hits. It will all come back in spring.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
If they take years to grow, its something to treasure. Generally, you should use pruning shears to cut off the branches close to the ground and in case the plants are the flowering type, cut off those branches which have not flowered or borne fruits. Additionally, you should pinch off the suckers in the main trunk. This would optimise productivity and health of the tree and also see them through the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
In the first pic , I would guess bamboo...because of the leaves, and hosta(round shaped leaves)

Ask a Question