Most exotic house plants

Reaction score
The Dumb Cane or dieffenbachia, I think, is one of the more under-rated house plants around. When healthy, this is a beautiful plant. Check out the video, I love the way she talks about her dieffenbachia, almost as if it's a family member.. OK, maybe she doesn't go that far, but isn't this a gorgeous plant?

She says she bought the plant a year ago, and it was much smaller than it appears in the video .. The dieffenbachia requires filtered light ..

Reaction score
A healthy Peace Lily is an exotic plant as well. It can be beautiful if properly cared for. I'm sure we've all seen those rather cruddy looking Peace Lily too. One of my neighbors gave me her Peace Lily, at the time, it was on its last legs because she did not give it the care it needed. I immediately put it in a larger pot with fresh potting soil. She saw the plant about 3 months later and she could hardly recognize it.

She said, "oh, my plant is doing so well." I quickly corrected her by saying, "you mean, MY plant." She definitely wasn't getting it back at that point.

The Spathiphyllum doesn't like bright sun, it's actually a low-light plant. This is not a picture of mine, I might post it tomorrow, but mine looks very similar to this one, except the leaves are a shade darker than the image below.

tff33201600.jpg

Reaction score
This is by far, the most beautiful Boston Fern I've ever seen. I've tried to grow these, they do well outside, but I've never been able to get one to grow indoors. It's been several years since I attempted to maintain a fern but after seeing this video, I'm going to try again..

Anyone else have success with ferns??

Reaction score
I have never had my Boston fern doing so well. I wish that the lady said something about caring for your Boston fern.. Mine almost died after I had to go out of town on an emergency. however, when I came back I had my pot soaked in water for a couple of days and now it has grown a few leaves. I am so happy to have saved my plant.
Dieffenbachia is such a hardy plant that it can even thrive with negligence. I have had many of those which have become too huge for our home and I have had to give away to our common garden in the apartment block.

Reaction score
Dieffenbachia is such a hardy plant that it can even thrive with negligence. I have had many of those which have become too huge for our home and I have had to give away to our common garden in the apartment block.
Well next time you give one away, remember me. I would love to have a dieff. that grows to my ceiling. I'm not sure where I would put it, but I'm sure I'd find a place for it.

As far as caring for the Boston fern, they need LOTS of light, that's why they do so well outside, but as soon as you bring it indoors it doesn't do too well. They need the light and like the lady said in the video, need to be misted from time to time, or placed in the shower (or in the bathroom while the shower is running, I have heard this many times in the past).

The second video, that fern is absolutely gorgeous, so long, so beautiful .. I think I'm in love .. LOL

Reaction score
Well next time you give one away, remember me. I would love to have a dieff. that grows to my ceiling. I'm not sure where I would put it, but I'm sure I'd find a place for it.

As far as caring for the Boston fern, they need LOTS of light, that's why they do so well outside, but as soon as you bring it indoors it doesn't do too well. They need the light and like the lady said in the video, need to be misted from time to time, or placed in the shower (or in the bathroom while the shower is running, I have heard this many times in the past).

The second video, that fern is absolutely gorgeous, so long, so beautiful .. I think I'm in love .. LOL

I will remember you.. when ever I see a diffenbachia, lol .. This is the first time I have heard someone like this plant so much.. maybe because it is common here we don't care too much for it.. it grow all over the place.
Thanks for the tip about Boston fern. I will put it in a sunny place. I did watch both the videos .. I do give all my ferns a good soaking..I will give this one a little more care and see how it grows.
I wish I could have mine looking as healthy as those in the video.

Reaction score
This is the first time I have heard someone like this plant so much.. maybe because it is common here we don't care too much for it.. it grow all over the place.

Well don't take your dieffenbachia's for granted. Are they as gorgeous as the dieffenbachia in the video? That is a striking looking plant, it looks so awesome that it almost looks artificial, except for the way it moves when the owner touches the plant. I attempted to fight a traffic ticket in court several months ago and in the hallway or atrium, just before going into the courtroom, they had this beautiful dieffenbachia sitting in the corner, growing toward the ceiling. It was growing almost like a vine, growing in sections. I almost wanted to get a piece of it but I figured, since I'm actually in the courthouse, filled with cops, judges, and attorneys, that probably would not have been a wise move.

So do your plants looks something like the ones pictured below?

Dieffenbachia+bowmanii+(Darina+%40+wiki).jpg

Reaction score
images

Certainly not the most beautiful, but they are exotic and unusual. If you aren't familiar, these are lithops, a.k.a. living rocks. They were discovered by accident when an explorer tried to kick the funny looking little rock and it didn't roll.

Here are some baby lithops that have just sprouted.
images

Here is a lithop that is about to flower.

images

Here are some lithops in bloom.

images

Of course you can tell that they are succulent, and they grow on gravel. If you water them too much they burst open and rot.

Reaction score
Well don't take your dieffenbachia's for granted. Are they as gorgeous as the dieffenbachia in the video? That is a striking looking plant, it looks so awesome that it almost looks artificial, except for the way it moves when the owner touches the plant. I attempted to fight a traffic ticket in court several months ago and in the hallway or atrium, just before going into the courtroom, they had this beautiful dieffenbachia sitting in the corner, growing toward the ceiling. It was growing almost like a vine, growing in sections. I almost wanted to get a piece of it but I figured, since I'm actually in the courthouse, filled with cops, judges, and attorneys, that probably would not have been a wise move.

So do your plants looks something like the ones pictured below?

Dieffenbachia+bowmanii+(Darina+%40+wiki).jpg
@ Taskeinc, yes, they are huge and beautiful.I Think this weather here is so conducive for their growth. Since they tend to become too dense like forests people throw them away all the time and they grow on rubbish heaps.. here. Maybe when something is plentiful you do not value it so much .

@ Lanie, I have never seen lithops before.. they look so amazing.. exotic is the word.. Wow How I wish I could have one of those.. those flowers are strikingly pretty :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As has been said, light is key to growing Boston ferns. I had a plant service business years ago and one of my accounts was a private home. In the kitchen the East and North corner were windows about 10’ high and 4’ wide. I had a fern that I could stand under and only be visible from the knees down (I’m 5’ 10” tall). If I stuck my arm up you could only see my hand. It was in a 14” pot with a plastic wash tub hanging under it to hold water. I watered once a week by filling the tub to the top twice in one visit, making sure there was water in the tub when I left. When the family moved the fern went out onto the patio of their new home and made a real statement! Beautiful plant , but OH what a mess of leaflets to pick up every week!

Ask a Question