Moon garden

Reaction score
I had a moon garden in Mobile, and I'd like to have one here. For those who don't know, moon gardens are all white...
In Mobile I had white roses, jasmine, white hibiscus, magnolia, moonvine. Most of this stuff I don't think will grow here unless I put it out in pots. I was out yesterday and saw hibiscus growing in pots so maybe that is a possibility. Anyone have any ideas of how to make a nice moon garden with plants that grow in the St Louis area? I really hope moonvine will grow here I just love it.

Reaction score
The moon flower vines and the white rose should do alright in your new area. Hibiscus can be grown in pots and brought inside in the colder times of the year, you just have to make sure they get enough sunlight (maybe use a growlight) and water. You can even grow gardenias inside. That should be a start for your outdoor moon garden when the weather warms up. I would just suggest visiting different nurseries in your area to see what they have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've always dreamed of having an all white garden. They look so pretty, elegant and unique:love:
I'm not an expert, but I think that both roses and magnolias can be grown in a warm climate. If I were you, I'd look in neighbor's garden an see if they have any white flowers.

Reaction score
All of the plants that you have mentioned will grow in your area sthrngypsy :)

In fact as well as the ones you have already mentioned - you have quite a large choice of plants that will grow in your area - however if you are looking for something a little different - how about some of the following - all of which are extremely easy to care.

Liatris Spicata Alba - which not only looks good as a structural plant - but looks wonderful at night as the flowers look like candles glowing in the moonlight

Liatris Spicata - Alba.jpg

Liatris Spicata - Alba (1.jpg

Miscanthus Sinensis " Cosmopolitan " or Japanese Silver Grass - which looks stunning both day and night and although it has no fragrance - its foliage is truly striking in the evening light and of course if you have a light breeze - it makes a lovely rustling sound that is extremely relaxing and very pleasant to listen to

Miscanthus Sinenis - Cosmopolitan.jpg

Cestrum Nocturnum or Night Jasmine - which is an excellent choice if you are wanting year round interest - especially as when evening approaches its flowers fill the evening air with a wonderfully heady fragrance that you can smell from quite a distance

Night Jasmine - Cestrum Nocturnum.jpg

Night Jasmine  - Cestrum Nocturnum bush.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes, I have planted a moon garden in the past, or all white impatients across the front. love it. Ran across a crab apple tree that according to the description the berries are a light yellow and the moon pops on the berries at night. No spot for the tree yet. On my list, maybe one day.

Ask a Question