Monochromatic garden

Reaction score
I've thought about, though I have never seen, monochromatic gardens. Meaning, everything in the garden is based on one color scheme, say for instance various shades of pink. Have you seen or done anything like this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never seen a garden like this in person, but I'm sure that it would look really lovely and unique. I'm not a big fan of bright colors, so I think I'd plant only white flowers. In my opinion they're the prettiest, because they seem so clean and delicate:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have yes - as they are quite popular where I live and in fact know of all white garden not so far away from where I am.

However much as I think monochromatic gardens can look stunning if done correctly - using different color hues of a single color - I'm not very keen on how they look when just a mass of one single color without any variation in hue is used - as I much prefer to see drifts of single but different color hues that gradually blend into each other - like for instance pinks to purples or whites to yellows.

For those of you who may be looking for ideas - here a few examples of what monochromatic gardens can look like

Single Color Gardens - Yellow.jpg

Single Color Gardens - White .jpg

Single Color Gardens - Pink.jpg

Sungke Color Gardens - Too much pink.jpg

Single Color Gardens - Purple.jpg

Reaction score
I have done it although it was on a much smaller scale than anything in the photos. I works really well with pinks, blues are nice too. I actually did a moon garden which came out far nicer than I thought it would.

Reaction score
Very good point gata montes. I like the picture of the purples but I could see myself getting pretty bored with the same tone of purple all the time.
firelily99, I think it probably works better on a small scale like you did -any pics?
Claudine, yes, the whites in that one picture are very striking!
Gardenfairy, now that I'm looking at these pictures, I think I may have seen something like this but only on a smaller scale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata Montes, these pictures are amazing. Surprisingly, my favorite is the third one. It looks very feminine.
I think I'll never get bored with white flowers. A garden like this would be perfect for me, in my opinion it's beautiful:

Highclere-Castle-Garden-The-White-Border.png

b70158f20ed8f8fe_4561-w660-h439-b0-p0--traditional-landscape.jpg

Reaction score
Those photos are gorgeous. It must take a lot of research to figure out which plants that are a similar color will bloom at the same time, in the same weather with the same soil. I don't know if I would have the patience to do that.

Reaction score
Gata Montes, these pictures are amazing. Surprisingly, my favorite is the third one. It looks very feminine.
I think I'll never get bored with white flowers. A garden like this would be perfect for me, in my opinion it's beautiful:

Many thanks and have to say that you surprised me too - especially as I felt more than sure that the white garden would be your first choice lol :D

However as I know that your choice is generally - well more often than not - that of a white garden - I realize that I need to remember to take my camera the next time I pass the one near me - as its an excellent example of just how good a white garden can look and I feel more than sure that you would love to see it - as although its very simple planting made up of just citrus trees, jasmines and tons of white roses - its a truly stunning sight :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Many thanks and have to say that you surprised me too - especially as I felt more than sure that the white garden would be your first choice lol :D

However as I know that your choice is generally - well more often than not - that of a white garden - I realize that I need to remember to take my camera the next time I pass the one near me - as its an excellent example of just how good a white garden can look and I feel more than sure that you would love to see it - as although its very simple planting made up of just citrus trees, jasmines and tons of white roses - its a truly stunning sight :)
It sounds like a wonderful garden, I'd love to see it!:D There is nothing more beautiful than tons of white roses growing in one place. Just thinking of them puts me in a romantic mood. If I ever have my own garden, I'll plant all kinds of white roses in it. I'm sure it will look magical!:love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I started out with mostly pinks into lavender and my front yard with its variety of winter blooming hellebores and heathers and summer blooming heathers and lavender. It is still predominately pinks except for the spring blooming Spanish hyathins.
image.jpg

The back yard is more a summer garden and has the same colors but over time more pops of yellow, orange and white have been added. Just seems more like summer with more colors.
image.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pictures are great. The white garden is my favorite. I would do a one color garden maybe pink or white.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love your garden, Jewell. I can't stop looking at these pictures! The first one is my favorite, it's such a perfect combination of delicate pinks and blues:)

I also like the combination of pink and violet:

g.jpg

It looks very romantic!:love:

Reaction score
I love your garden, Jewell. I can't stop looking at these pictures! The first one is my favorite, it's such a perfect combination of delicate pinks and blues:)

I also like the combination of pink and violet:

g.jpg

It looks very romantic!:love:
Ohh, yes! The pinks and blues are mouth watering in this photo! I think also I am attracted to the shape. The puffy, ball type look of these flowers is very appealing to me. Hydrangeas? I don't know if I would feel the same degree of pleasure if they were in spikes or more loosely arranged.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They look like hydrangeas to me:) I love their shape too. Also, they mach the color of the house. I'd love to live in a place like this!:love:
My aunt used to grow hydrangeas in her garden, but she planted them separately, so they didn't look as stunning as those in the picture.

Ask a Question