Minnesota perennials

Reaction score
I live in Minnesota and am looking for perennials to plant around my home instead of having to always buy annuals. I am looking for plants that spread and take up more space so I can buy less plants. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Reaction score
I have geard of a plant called lamb's ear. Does anybody know about this plant and any experience on care?

Reaction score
Lambs ears are known for their foliage and not the flower. In fact most people will remove the flower. What kind of light do you get? It makes a big difference in what types of perennials you will get as well as what temperature zone you are in.

Reaction score
Hi Firelily99,

The plants would be getting full sun. We are in zone 4. I didn't know that about lamb's ear. I saw a friend had it once and it was bloomed so I thought the flower was just part of it. Thank you!

Reaction score
Also in MN and zone 4, and looking for perennial lawn cover. I don't want a grass lawn. Are there any ideas out there?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do consider adding at least a few native plants of Minnesota and the greater Midwest to your garden. Well-adapted to your climate,
they will likely be vigorous, beautiful, and easy to care for. They will also be a benefit to wildlife and your garden's ecology.
There are too many possibilities to make a list without first knowing more about your garden conditions and desires,
but do consider Milkweeds (Asclepias spp) and native daisies (Asteraceae) as they are often particularly deserving candidates.

I leave the flowers on my Lamb's Ears (Stachys byzantina), a spreading herb, in the Mint Family (Lamiaceae), native to Anatolia, the Caucasus, and Iran. The white woolly verticillasters make an interesting vertical element, and the purple flowers nestled in each hairy calyx, lend a touch of color and more food for the bees.

Ask a Question