Meyer Lemon Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi guys!
Yesterday I ordered a Meyer Lemon tree :) any tips on care? What size pot should I buy? Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yesterday I ordered a Meyer Lemon tree :)
Welcome to the Meyer Lemon Tree club ;)(y). I got mine recently and I am pretty happy about it.

As you're in hardiness zone 6, I am assuming it will be spending the winters indoors, so yeah, @Chuck makes a good point. Mine is in a 10 inch diameter pot at the moment. My tree is quite small, so I am not using anything to big at the moment.

I don't know much, but I do know that it needs a lot of direct sunlight and not to be over watered.

Fertilizers. Oh man, I have tried to find an answer to this and everyone says something different. I think the most popular NPK ratio that people have said is 3-1-2. Someone on this site recommended just using a organic fertilizer designed for roses. Either way, depending on the size of your tree will depend on how much you should fertilize it. Also, that same person suggested using Epsom salts.

Also, talking to it helps a lot :giggle:

I'm still trying to learn about my tree, so I really don't know much, but I wanted to share the little I do know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome to the Meyer Lemon Tree club ;)(y). I got mine recently and I am pretty happy about it.

As you're in hardiness zone 6, I am assuming it will be spending the winters indoors, so yeah, @Chuck makes a good point. Mine is in a 10 inch diameter pot at the moment. My tree is quite small, so I am not using anything to big at the moment.

I don't know much, but I do know that it needs a lot of direct sunlight and not to be over watered.

Fertilizers. Oh man, I have tried to find an answer to this and everyone says something different. I think the most popular NPK ratio that people have said is 3-1-2. Someone on this site recommended just using a organic fertilizer designed for roses. Either way, depending on the size of your tree will depend on how much you should fertilize it. Also, that same person suggested using Epsom salts.

Also, talking to it helps a lot :giggle:

I'm still trying to learn about my tree, so I really don't know much, but I wanted to share the little I do know.
I had a beautiful Myers for years and it finally got so big that I had to put it into the ground. And sure enough, the first year it was super cold here and even though I protected it it wasn't enough and it froze. I used a 4-2-3 organic on mine and had great results. The first year I had it I didn't get a single lemon although it had lots of blooms and tiny lemons but the second year I got 11 and from then on it produced more and more. I never had any insect problems but I did have destructive caterpillars which Bt easily took care of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I had a beautiful Myers for years and it finally got so big that I had to put it into the ground. And sure enough, the first year it was super cold here and even though I protected it it wasn't enough and it froze.

Oh man! :cry: I'm sorry about that. Do you think you will get another lemon tree?

What fertilizer do you use? Cause I like that ratio.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh man! :cry: I'm sorry about that. Do you think you will get another lemon tree?

What fertilizer do you use? Cause I like that ratio.
I use Medina Grow N Green on almost everything. I don't know if other states have it or not but it is an excellent organic fertilizer with a poultry manure base. I doubt if I will ever get another citrus tree. During that same big freeze I lost a lime tree and 2 satsumas. The weather here is just too unpredictable

Reaction score

I'm impressed - and as its was me that gave you the information - as the information I gave you is based on my many, many years of growing every variety of citrus and my knowledge gained from commercial growers - I can assure you that you really won't go too far wrong if you follow the advice I have given you and especially that regarding not giving your tree too much fertilizer - as apart from the problems already mentioned of doing that - too much fertilizer can also inhibit fruit production.

Reaction score
I had a beautiful Myers for years and it finally got so big that I had to put it into the ground. And sure enough, the first year it was super cold here and even though I protected it it wasn't enough and it froze.

They're much hardier than many people think and I hope you didn't discard yours thinking it was dead - especially as - although a lemon tree may look to be totally dead with all its leaves crisp and brown after a severe freeze - they generally aren't - as the key here - so long as below and just above the graft hasn't been damaged - is to wait at least six months before doing anything - particularly as it can take up to two years to tell if a citrus tree has died due to a freeze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm impressed - and as its was me that gave you the information - as the information I gave you is based on my many, many years of growing every variety of citrus and my knowledge gained from commercial growers - I can assure you that you really won't go too far wrong if you follow the advice I have given you and especially that regarding not giving your tree too much fertilizer - as apart from the problems already mentioned of doing that - too much fertilizer can also inhibit fruit production.

I really appreciate the advice from such an experienced citrus grower. My lemon tree is perking up, it's started developing a few new leaves, it's not the most leafy lemon tree, so I'm pleased its growing more. I'm just waiting for it to dry up a little before I give it some Epsom Salts. Quick question, a lemon on it has seemed to have stopped growing. Should I prune it off? Or do some lemons take longer than others to grow?

Reaction score
I really appreciate the advice from such an experienced citrus grower. My lemon tree is perking up, it's started developing a few new leaves, it's not the most leafy lemon tree, so I'm pleased its growing more. I'm just waiting for it to dry up a little before I give it some Epsom Salts. Quick question, a lemon on it has seemed to have stopped growing. Should I prune it off? Or do some lemons take longer than others to grow?

Oh I know you did - I was really just meaning that I was impressed by how much you now know :)

Anyways - in answer to your question - if you are meaning does one lemon appear to grow less than the others on the tree - it can sometimes appear to be so - which is mainly because - as citrus trees tend to blossom on and off throughout the year and citrus fruits generally take around 6 months or so after forming before they are ready for eating - its inevitable that there will be a few fruits on a tree that are at different stages of development.

As for removing it - I have to say that - although its tempting to leave it - as your tree is only just beginning to show signs of recovery - I think it would probably be best to remove it and let the tree fully recover before allowing it to bear any fruit.

Ask a Question