Medicinal plants

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by maddie, Nov 11, 2012.

1. maddie

taskeinc New Member

Thanks.. I've not actually been turned off by the smell. The gel, to me, doesn't really smell at all, it's the taste that gets me, but it is bearable. There's a video about the Aloe Vera plant where the guy says that the more full the leaf is, the more convex the leaf (curving outward instead of concave - curving inward) is, the sweeter it would actually taste (see the video below). Either way, I'm at the point where the taste doesn't bother me because I'm always thinking about the health benefits.

taskeinc, May 3, 2013
    1. Advertising

2. maddie

ChanellG New Member

If you look at the "leaves" of the aloe when you cut it, you'll notice a yellowish "sap" start to appear. It's this stuff that causes the bad taste. I've never been braved enough to use aloe internally from a plant I purchased. I've always gotten it distilled in a drink from the store.
    ChanellG, May 4, 2013
  3. maddie

taskeinc New Member

When you get the aloe from the store, you're getting about 2-5% aloe and the rest is something else. It's really not that bad when you get it directly from the plant. The taste does not linger, especially if you immediately wash it down with a bottle of water, or juice, or mix it with juice. I like it straight from the leaf, that way I know it's serving its purpose, it's not watered down, and it's not tainted in any way.
    taskeinc, May 6, 2013
  4. maddie

ChanellG New Member

It's always good to get whatever the thing is as unadulterated as possible, which is why I like to shop at the farmer's market. (I'll be going tomorrow!) It's also another reason I want to try and grow more food plants - that way I can know exactly what I am eating. Before I expand more though, I have to come up with a plan for hurricane season.
    ChanellG, May 6, 2013
  5. maddie

Lilley1 New Member

I know this is an older thread but I just couldn't resist posting a reply. I love the topic of medicinal plants and all its benefits from an economical stand point to vitality of life.

Pat, I really enjoyed reading the list of medicinal plants and all their uses. However, I think there is one that may top the aloe plant, and I love aloe plants! That would be the Holy Basil, also known as Tulsi (not to be confused with sweet basil). Holy Basil is known as the "Queen of Herbs' and is very sacred in India.

My boss is Indian and his wife gave me sprouts from their Holy Basil plant. She said it is their culture's tradition to keep the plant on the front porch near the door. As guests walk in, they simply snap a leaf off the plant and chew on it during their visit. She said it is also a tradition to give a Tulsi plant as a gift. It symbolizes good health, prosperity and happiness.

Health benefits from the Holy Basil are renowned for its restorative powers. I added the link so you can learn more about Tulsi.

http://www.organicindia.com/tulsi-facts.php
    Lilley1, May 6, 2013
  6. maddie

limcid New Member

The funny thing, to me, is that so many of the plants that I'm starting to realize as having real benefits seem to all fall into the "weed" category. I would be afraid to just pick them anywhere because they may have been sprayed as weeds. It's best to grow them all yourself.
    limcid, May 7, 2013
  7. maddie

maddie New Member

Actually in Ayurvedic medicines they do not use the gel of younger plants. The plants themselves have to be three to five years old and the leaves should be really ripe.
    I am okay with the taste too.. but I cannot stand the smell. Maybe I should mask it with some lemon rind or something before I gulp it down. I guess I should remind myself of all the benefits of aloe and start to drink the gel again.
    maddie, May 7, 2013
  8. maddie

warmweatherwoman New Member

The only medicinal plant I'd like to grow is illegal without a license to distribute to dispensaries....so I'm patiently waiting .... LOL o_O
    warmweatherwoman, May 7, 2013
  9. maddie

taskeinc New Member

I hear ya.. This might help you. There are 18 states in the U.S. that have legalized the medicinal use of marijuana. Those states are: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.

You probably couldn't grow large fields of the stuff, but it may not be frowned upon if you have a small amount without a prescription, and it's probably not that difficult to get a prescription.

[​IMG]
    taskeinc, May 7, 2013
    warmweatherwoman likes this.
  10. maddie

warmweatherwoman New Member

Thanks! Unfortunately, although they have legalized the medicinal use of it....The Feds can still arrest and charge you if they so feel like it :( They have not decriminalized it yet..even for medicinal use :oops:

There would be a significant loss in profits to pharmaceutical companies if the medicinal benefit information of marijuana use were more wide spread. In college I did a paper on the history of the medicinal use and was AMAZED at the information I found!
    warmweatherwoman, May 8, 2013
  11. maddie

Nahum New Member

We have always had at least one aloe vera plant. Basil and Thyme are a couple others we've grown that you might consider. I've never tried to grow chamomile, but will some day.
    Nahum, May 8, 2013
  12. maddie

Rzashida New Member

Nice video, I have a whole bunch of Aloe seedlings, I hope they make it through this summer. I never tried Aloe cause I heard that it was a extreme laxative. Since the video shows where he cut off the yellow part that he stated is the "laxative part" I may try it. The medicinal herb I am growing this year is Moringa. I paid about 30 a bottle all winter and I can't wait to finally have my own supply. :)
    Rzashida, Jun 1, 2013